Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

EFI Swap/conversion Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Default EFI Swap/conversion Help!

Hello all!

I have been recently given the chance to grab a 351w complete EFI engine out of a 1994 F-350 truck with 30,000 miles that is destined to go to the gunk yard. Everything is in perfect working order and the engine looks brand new with a slight cover of dust. For $200 I can take the engine and what ever I need to complete the conversion. I have been searching the web for months and really can’t find anything that specifically tells you how to take an EFI engine out of an 198X – 1995 car and drop it into a 65+ mustang. This engine might be going into one of the two mustangs I have (66 or the 68).
Anyone know of any good links on this?

Also, this is a list of parts that I have conjured up that I will need for the swap. Am I missing anything or do you have any suggestions?:

What I am grabbing from the Truck:
- 351w engine (has the typical ford intake. Not the other truck intake.) with all accessories attached.
- Wiring harness and distributor.
- CPU.
- O2 sensors. (Do I even need these?)

The list of things that I think I need to purchase:

- EFI Alternator Harness (mustang plus) to adapt the late model alternator to work with the early style electrical system. $99.95

- Ron Morris Fuel System Kit. Includes everything needed to plumb the Fuel system even comes with a stock fuel pump, fuel filter, and a modified sending unit with a fuel return. $489.95 (should I grab the fuel pump off the truck?)

- EFI Speedometer cable with correct ends to connect the VSS and early speedo. $64.95

- EFI inertia Switch plug wire and Switch- $30.00

Additional questions-

- I feel like the above list is missing a wiring harness to connect everything. Am I missing something?
Old 01-02-2009, 01:51 PM
JamesW

Take a look at my website below for some ideas.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:03 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

What type of tranny does the truck and your car have? If it is a standard, you should be fine, but if the donor car has an EAOD, you may need to get a different manual tranny EEC or it may wig out from not having a tranny connected. Another option is to get the EAOD too.

Yes you will need the O2 sensors. That is an important part of how the EEC tells how much fuel to put in. Some computers have one in each collector, some have one after the y pipe, some have one before the cat and one after.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:06 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

James W- Thanks for the link to your website. This will definitely help.

As for the Type of tranny, the truck has an auto in it. I plan/ want to take the C4 out of my stang and drop a t-5 in along with the 351. So I guess it is pointless to grab the EEC out of the truck, right? Where could I find or buy an EEC for a 351w that would be compatible with the T-5?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:46 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

If you get no other help, ask these guys: www.ffcobra.com

This is an independent forum, but is dedicated to building Factory Five Racing kits. Their whole concept is taking a EFI Ford engine out of a Fox or S197 Mustang and installing it in a Cobra or Daytona coupe replica. Every challenge you will face, they have addressed.

Good luck, sounds like a very interesting project, so please post a bunch of pictures.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:48 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I would think you are going to need wither a EEC for SD or EEC for MAF, whichever you have, that is programmed for a manual transmission. I believe FRP makes a sequential EFI and MAF conversion kit for both the 5.0 and 5.8L. You will need to get a programmed chip to dial in the AF ratio for your specific setup though. It would be much easier just to find a 351W EEC for a manual, but keep in mind there were two different algorithms used...Speed Density and Mass Air Flow.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:47 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Any EEC IV will work for a T5. I always recomend the auto computer (A9P) for both instances, auto and manual. The program in the auto EEC is more agressive in the program curve so we find it has a bit more performance. But If your going to get it tuned then what ever you can get.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:24 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

LLC,
So are you saying that I can use the donor Truck's EEC (It is a mass air unit) and the engine should still run once I drop a T-5 in the car? I do plan on getting tuning done because I plan on upgrading the heads and cam for more performance. Other than the differences between the tune on the EEC for manual tranny or auto, there is really no other difference?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Here is the link to the FRPP MAF conversion kit. As you can see, you have to chose what type of tranny, but will work for either a 302 or 351.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...tKeyField=2617

I have forgotten a ton of what I learned when I was playing with EFI in my '88 Bronco. In looking back at my bookmarks, this is a pretty good website to check out.
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/

LCC, what do you have to do to an auto EEC to make it run in a standard?

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 01-07-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Urban Cowboy. For some reason when I was first sent this link, I was have a very difficult time navigating the link. However, I just spent about an hour looking the site over and think this site has everything that I need to make the conversion.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: EFI Swap/conversion Help!