Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1970 Mach 1 Shaker Hood

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Bryon

Default Mr Waffles

I see you run a Vic Jr. intake with a shaker. I'm considering the same. Would you be able to share some pictures so I could see how you did it?

Thanks

Bryon

bryon@sunrisetruckingllc.com
Old 01-30-2009, 08:22 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

+1 on that. Was is plug and play or did you have to modify the setup?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:09 AM
genesis
Former Sponsor

nice
Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

My original post on another forum:

chillininnh Said:Check out this thread on another forum. "Waffles" is running a stroked 408W with a Victor Jr. and has the shaker.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...aker-hood.html

His response:

well I guess "Waffles" is right and I'm wrong.
Actually, Waffles is, what appears to me, to be a posser. He even misrepresnts his car to be a Mach 1
I think his car is a 302 based engine, based on the picture he has posted. He also states in another thread...not that I visit that sight until today...his car has an "Edelbrock alluminum Performer intake" not a Vic jr...so which is it

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-restored.html

or
Maybe its just my car....
I have been there....I have done it with my "factory" 351W shaker car. The Vic Jr nor the Air Gap will fit.

but Bryon try it out and let us know your results....

This is what kills me about the internet.

If i have first hand knowledge I post. If I don't..I leave it up to those who do.

This "my step brothers uncle's cousin's next door neighbor, who's in prison for grand theft auto used to be the original owner of a 1961 Boss 429 Granada, so they must have made one" bs bothers me to no end

I'm done ranting
Peace Out

It seems this poster at another forum says it ain't gonna happen, rather emphatically I might add lol.

Last edited by chillininnh; 01-30-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:15 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

i'm in the process of fitting a shaker on a 69 with a 351W and a victor jr.

it is 100% not plug and play.

i'm still working on this and should be complete in about two weeks. i just need to get the final carb, to make sure i don't have more clearance issues.

here are the mods i have done so far en route to getting this to fit:

1. 1/2" drop mounts
2. shaved 1/4" off the carb flange of the intake
3. started with a 428 shaker base
4. using a 1 1/4" drop base with modifications to the carb neck
5. opened up the base to allow room for the 14" drop base air cleaner

it looks like i'm going to squeeze a 2.83" tall filter in this. i calculated that a 2.5" would get me there more easily but i'm trying to get a little more since it is a drop base.

the following pictures are not the final product as i still have lots of work to do. however it does look promising. however the base is just not going to look original for a 351w to the well versed mustang enthusiast.

shown without the base. the seal is a original tooling seal that sucks. i've since replaced that with a much better reproduction. i was checking the clearance with the seal.

the shaker was sitting just a little high in this picture. i have since shaved 1/4" off the intake to get this back down

just some of the mods made to the base

the air cleaner will actually sit at an angle once all welded up. the victor jr is a level intake that causes a problem in itself.

still lots of work to do. carb should be here tomorrow. i need to add some clearance for the distributor because it is hitting on the spark plug boots.

Last edited by BuckeyeDemon; 02-17-2010 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Cruzzar
1st Gear Member

Kdclem, I have also wanted info on the real effect that a shaker has on engine performance. I have never seen real data on performance gain. Granted, it should provide some performance but what I have read is that the actual air intake of the shaker is not high enough above the boundary layer of air over the hood to give much of a ram effect. The cool air should provide some performance gain. There is a reason that the Ram Air Box system pulls the air from behind the grill and not from the top of the hood. If somebody has the data/performance gain from switching to a shaker I'm sure a lot of people would find it interesting reading.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:25 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by chillininnh
My original post on another forum:

chillininnh Said:Check out this thread on another forum. "Waffles" is running a stroked 408W with a Victor Jr. and has the shaker.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...aker-hood.html

His response:

well I guess "Waffles" is right and I'm wrong.
Actually, Waffles is, what appears to me, to be a posser. He even misrepresnts his car to be a Mach 1
I think his car is a 302 based engine, based on the picture he has posted. He also states in another thread...not that I visit that sight until today...his car has an "Edelbrock alluminum Performer intake" not a Vic jr...so which is it

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-restored.html

or
Maybe its just my car....
I have been there....I have done it with my "factory" 351W shaker car. The Vic Jr nor the Air Gap will fit.

but Bryon try it out and let us know your results....

This is what kills me about the internet.

If i have first hand knowledge I post. If I don't..I leave it up to those who do.

This "my step brothers uncle's cousin's next door neighbor, who's in prison for grand theft auto used to be the original owner of a 1961 Boss 429 Granada, so they must have made one" bs bothers me to no end

I'm done ranting
Peace Out

It seems this poster at another forum says it ain't gonna happen, rather emphatically I might add lol.
How about you check the dates on those threads he made. The classified ad was back in 07 and your first link was 09. That is plenty of time to modify more and swap out an intake.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:07 AM
TheBoss347

Not to highjack a thread but I'm new here.
Just wondering if anyone has some info about throwing a shaker on a 1970 Mustang with a 302 and a. Victor Jr intake?
I'm hearing mixed messages. Some say it sits nice, and some say it's completely custom.
Thanks for any info in advance!

- Boss
Old 11-23-2014, 05:39 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TheBoss347
Not to highjack a thread but I'm new here.
Just wondering if anyone has some info about throwing a shaker on a 1970 Mustang with a 302 and a. Victor Jr intake?
I'm hearing mixed messages. Some say it sits nice, and some say it's completely custom.
Thanks for any info in advance!

- Boss
it depends on which base you use but you will need to space it up . . you can also weld the studs to your base and bolt the top to it.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:08 PM
TheBoss347

Right on. Thanks. Do you have any pics or know of anyone that does?
I was thinking of starting off with the big block set up because they are 3/8" shorter