Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Steering problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Flynn

Default Steering problems

Hi to all,
I have a problem with a car i'm fixing up of my daughter, i replaced the powersteering pump.
i made sure everything was clean, also the hoses were replaced, whats happening now is the same thing as before, the steering wheel goes bezerk! its like it has a mind of its own! i need HELP! you folks wouldnt want dear old dad look bad in his daughters eyes now would ya?
the car is a 69 granada strait 6 250ci and is in really nice shape, i replaced all the brakes from the wheels, lines and on up. everything i could replace i did and then saved all the old parts for the future, i'm and old time yard machanic, i just never ran into this problem before, could it be the hydrolics(sp) it seems to me that the valve cant make up its mind, when i steer to the left it wants to go on its own and when i try to turn it back to the right it fights me, so i let it go to the left and then it stops until i turn to the right and it does it again only this time to the right! and also if i just turn it quickly to the right and then left it starts to shake the wheel back and forth really fast and hard!
so please anyone who can tell me whats wrong i would really be greatful, thanks, Sean
Old 06-09-2005, 02:37 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Steering problems

Hi Sean,

hopefully you've all ready got an answer to this, but JIC:

Sounds like the problem is in the steer control valve, which is on the drag link. Either worn/missing springs or out of adjustment. As this is a huge safety issue you will want to be very careful in repairing this. I do not have first hand experience on a '69, however from what I see in the NPD catalog, it is very similar to valves I have worked on. NPD has a rebuild kit for this valve, and I would also look at rebuilding/replacing the steer cylinder at the same time. A shop manual should give you the proper procedures to follow.
Finally, it wouldn't hurt to stop by an auto repair facility when you finish and have them check the pump pressure, Just to make sure everything is correct. After all this car will be chauffeuring your most valuable treasure.

BTW: Welcome to the forums.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:47 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Steering problems

Welcome, let us know how it turns out