Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Classic Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 05:56 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Default Classic Restoration

I am new to the Mustang ownership family thanks to my 2005 my wife recently bought me for my 50th birthday. I must admit I have 'Mustang-itus" something awful. I have an opportunity to purchase a 1966 Fastback GT as a restoration project from a local reputable gentleman for a reasonable price. It is green in color, has the 289 four barrell engine and pony interior. It is completely broken down into pieces. My question for your forum is a two parter: #1: is this a good choice for your first Mustang restoration experience? #2: Would I be better off looking for another year or style to spend my time and money on to restore? Any advice you may offer will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:11 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Classic Restoration

When you say it is completely broken down in pieces, what are you saying? Explain further.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:22 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

The guy who has it broke it, down into a rolling chassis, body, engine and tranny, two doors, hood, trunk, etc. to verify it was a geniune GT. He has it in his shop. He restores and works on 1964.5 to 1969 Mustangs for a living. He bought it to restore for a lady who could not come up with the money. He wants to sell it to me "as is". He has several in process right now and needs the floor space. I would need a large flatbed to get it home and start the process. Is this enough information Soaring? Thank you in advance for your help.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Welcome to the "classic" mustang forum. Well, Have you ever restored a car before? I dont understang how it can be broken in a rolling chassis and body, when it's a unibody car, but If you have alot of time and love and a little experience you should be able to pull it off. You can have the doors, hood, truck, etc. etc. on there in a day. If it really is a reasonable price i say buy it and restore it to your capabilites.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

IMO a '66 is the best year, and the only one nicer than a fastback is a convertible (what a coincidence I just happen to have a convertible )

For a "first project", a good running car with no rust would be my first choice. Gives you a chance to drive it for a while. During this time you formulate your plan for what you really want to do. Then you can do a section at a time while still driving it. Keeps away the burnout syndrome that happens to so many folks. By the time you get it to where you are satisfied you'll have a good working knowledge of the car, and can then decide to strip it down and refurbish the whole thing, or sell it and start something else.

Tackling a non-running project for a first time can be a little overwhelming. It's amazing how just some small project (like adding A/C) can become a rather large project as you tweek things to make it suite you.

Not trying to talk you out of it. This maybe a great vehicle to put away for a few years while you start on something easier. Or you may have the patience and "stick-to-it-iv-ness" to turn out an awesome product. I'd look at available time, past experiences on other large projects (not of your wifes chosing...those we have to get done!) and do you really want two Mustangs. Or would your '05 be better complimented by a '40 Pickup?

Best of luck whatever you chose, and welcome,
Old 06-09-2005, 09:28 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

First of all, you have excellent taste in Mustangs!We all know the '66 GT fastback is the best of the bunch. Those convertible boys generally suffer from too much strong wind to the ears.

That aside, what Scott said is true: unless you're a skilled, experienced machanic - a completely disassembled car may be a bit overwhelming. Heck, I'd be overwhelmed with it and I've been at this for over 20 years!

If the deal is just too good to pass up, and you have a local Mustang club to join (for support and help), then you may always regret passing it up. But if you're not very confident in your restoration skills, then perhaps you'd be better off with a running vintage Mustang. A "rolling restoration" lets you improve the car part by part and still enjoy driving it. Just food for thought...

Welcome aboard!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:05 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Depending on the price, I would take it in a heartbeat and restore it. Now, there is a reason for the body parts, engine, etc. are off. Obviously, he was intending to completely restore it the right way just as mine was done. Scratch your head and figure out if you have the skills and time to do it. Up to you.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:31 AM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks to everyone for their input. I am going to actually see it tomorrow. Everything I have posted is based on a discussion at the club meeting and a phone call so I apologize if I was mistaken about the rolling chassis and the body. I guess I am worried that this might be more than I can handle on a first time project. He has several others in various states of restoration so maybe I will find another one I feel more comfortable with tomorrow. I know he has a 68 convertiable that is driveable and 50% restored. I am trying to find something that will be "special" when I am done some day and thought the 66 GT Fastback would fit that bill. Thanks to you all for sharing your advice and experience. I will keep you informed.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, the fastbacks and verts are pretty neat looking Mustangs, but my old Yeller 65 coupe is special to me. It just depends on what style you prefer. It's kinda like if you prefer chocolate or strawberry ice cream.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:00 PM
Markstang1969
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Yeah, the fastbacks and verts are pretty neat looking Mustangs, but my old Yeller 65 coupe is special to me. It just depends on what style you prefer. It's kinda like if you prefer chocolate or strawberry ice cream.
Strawberry ice cream [:'(]

I am a fan of the 67-68 fastbacks myself (not that I would turn down a 66 ever!) If you are unsure, take a digital camera with you and snap some good shots and post them here for more input.

Quick Reply: Classic Restoration