Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

starter solenoid sparking

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 05:57 AM
vescotech
1st Gear Member

You can't run a starter on an 8ga wire. You said you solenoid was mounted in the trunk how are you providing power to engine compartment? Do you have a part# for the ez kit you used. Some of their manuals are online.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:16 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

the company is actually ez2wire, here is a link i found to the kit http://stores.homestead.com/ez2wire/...sal/Detail.bok

as far as the 8ga wire, i can run a bigger wire, but it still doesnt explain the fact that when i put a positive wire to the starter tab, it sparks or blows the fuse. also i havnt been able to test the grounds yet, ive been busy and especially with valentine's day this weekend and a wedding to go to. i wont be able to make it to the shop this weekend

so im trying to get as many ideas and solutions to try before i go back to working on the car.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:38 AM
andrew340
1st Gear Member

got a new starter from mustangs unlimited, put it in and cranked for one second then died. did i somehow fry this starter. the relay is clicking so i'm pretty sure that's working, doesn't make any sense. i bought a new coil too which i haven't put in yet, maybe it's just not getting enough power
Old 02-13-2009, 04:51 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

What do you mean by starter "TAB" ?

The only "tab" I know of is a GROUND tab that mounting bolt runs through or attaches to the starter case

Can you take pictures and post them ?

That 8 gauge wire is for the alternator by-pass

There should be a LARGE Cable (0 Gauge) running from the starter lug on the solenoid to the large THREAD LUG ON THE STARTER

If the solenoid is in the trunk then you require about 12-15 ft of 0 gauge cable to the Large starter lug It is fastened down with a 9/16" nut.

This is about as best as I can do right now to show how things wire up

Last edited by MIL1ION; 02-13-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:00 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Wow, I hadn't looked at this thread for a while. This should not be this difficult.

Sprinkles, you need to post some pictures of at least your solenoid and starter. Your wiring sounds fubar and we can not help you without knowing the specifics. Your descriptions are confusing given the terminology you use, but I guarantee if we know what we are dealing with, we can fix it. The only external difference in the old and new solenoids is the new doesn't have the "I" terminal (internally, there is a diode to prevent current surges from affecting your ECU). A couple of points:

1. The battery + cable and all of the wiring harness wires requiring power should be on the same large terminal of the solenoid (left side). That includes the 50 amp fuse which is a replacement for the fusable link on older models. The alternator output should also be on this terminal. Only the purple wire if using an aftermarket harness (blue/red if using the stock harness) should be on the "S" terminal, nothing else. Only the heavy gauge wire to the starter should be on the other (right) large terminal of the solenoid. And btw, if you are using a ministarter with a solenoid on the starter, the wiring is slightly different. Post a picture.

2. You can not use 8 gauge wire to the starter and never put a fuse between the battery and starter. Frankly, I don't think that is what you mean. I am familiar with all of these wiring kits and what they are saying is to run the + battery lead (0 or 1 gague if it is in the trunk) to the solenoid as the main power input. Also, connect the main harness feed to this post using a 50 amp maxifuse (protects the main power to the fuse box). The other wire that goes on this terminal is to the ignition switch to provide it power and the alternator power output.

Pease post some pictures!
Old 02-13-2009, 07:41 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

Are you saying he bought a solenoid without an I terminal and not the older style ?

Here is how it looks in real life and in a schematic.

You will see how simple it really is

Last edited by MIL1ION; 02-13-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:44 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by djsprinklesnjo
i have a 2ga wire running from the (+) batt to the starter solenoid which is maybe two feet long. then the 8ga wire from the trunk to the starter.

but i dont see how this would possible have any effect on the postive tab on the starter being grounded out? oh and the solenoid i have looks to be the one from a fox body engine, not the 67 one.
Dennis, he says it is a newer style in his post on the previous page (see bold).
Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Sprinkles,

Here is the old style:

and here is the new style:

Which do you have?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:45 PM
MIL1ION
2nd Gear Member

Or this one?

Old 02-15-2009, 01:43 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I think he has the old style. Thats what I have on my 65.

Hey Million, Are you the same Million that is on FTE?

Quick Reply: starter solenoid sparking