Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Best street tire for traction

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Art Brock
2nd Gear Member

Default Best street tire for traction

There seems to ba a lot of tire questions lately so I figured I'd throw my question out there.

I will be getting new tires (and rims) soon for my 66 Coupe, 15", 16" or 17" (tire selection will play a key roll in what size I go with).

Car is a weekly driver (maybe 2000 miles a year) & does see rain occasionally (like if it starts raining after I go somewhere & I have to drive back home).
I'm pretty sane around curves, but I do like to leave a stop light quickly!

I wonder what tire has the best dry weather traction?
I'm tired of my tires just spinning & smoking if I give her some gas.
I don't think I want a street drag tire may be dangerous in the rain, is that correct?
Old 02-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's are pretty damn sticky. My roommate had them on his '97 Trans Am; that car hugged the road at 130mph better than any other car I've ever driven. Accelerating, braking, turning, they did it all. They even drive pretty well in the rain. Three catches though. 1) You have to check them for defects when you first mount them, because GY quality control isn't always fantastic (my roommate had one show up with a creased bead once). 2) They're expensive. Very expensive. 3) Tread life isn't great. My roommate got 10k mi out of them, barely.

BFG's G-Force lineup is pretty good as well, IMO, and usually a little cheaper than the Goodyears. I'm eyeing the G-Force Sports as affordable street tires. KDW's grab better, but they're more expensive and don't last as long.

I'm sure Norm has some other ideas
Old 02-14-2009, 01:19 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Sumitomo HTR series are good. I have the HTR Z IIs on the rear.
Old 02-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

ZII's are sticky, but I don't like their soft sidewall, or their propensity to wear on the shoulders. Cheap though, so good if you like to burn up tires
Old 02-14-2009, 02:06 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I agree with Tad on the Goodyears. Great tires, but expensive and short lived. I had the Sumitomos on my Daytona Coupe and they were very good and less expensive. I like the Yokohama s-drive and have them on my 66.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:05 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

The Nitto 555r is a good drag radial and is good in the rain. The tread pattern looks mean as well. You can also look at the other Nitto's for great looking tread patterns and wet/dry driving capabilities.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:09 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by Starfury
ZII's are sticky, but I don't like their soft sidewall, or their propensity to wear on the shoulders. Cheap though, so good if you like to burn up tires
I got them because they were cheap. I'll probably go to the HTR Z next time.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:10 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

what i did was to decide on the size exactly and then see what's a good fit etc.
Stay away from all cool looking tyres (like BFG R TA). they perform crap (at least those and the cooper cobras).
Seen flying fools car? same happened to a friend with a 396ss chevelle with those tyres. he just stepped on throttle too early in bend in rain
Old 02-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Well, if you gas it mid-corner in a 396 Chevelle, you're going to step the back end out with pretty much any tire shy of racing slicks:P
Old 02-14-2009, 04:46 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I am running BFG KDW's with the new tread. The work great for me and look better than any other tire out there IMO. Here is a pic that you can see the tread.
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...irthday002.jpg

Quick Reply: Best street tire for traction