Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear Drum Rework Checklist -- Leave anything out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 05:47 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Default Rear Drum Rework Checklist -- Leave anything out?

Hey guys,

I will be doing the CSRP KH disc kit in about two months. I want to go through the drums out back while I am at it. As you regulars know, I am a rookie at this. I will be fine doing this, but I just have to make sure I have as many parts as possible ahead of time. (It's a rural area and a trip to an Autozone-type place takes an hour round trip.)

-Deluxe hardware kit from NPD for the rear drums. Looks pretty comprehensive for the various springs cables and stuff. "springs, pins, washers, top and bottom caps, self adjusting cable, lever, and guide adjusters". $32

-New shoes -- $24 x 2

-New wheel cylinders -- $19 x 2

---------

That's my list so far. Everything is original back there, so 45 years old. There are flexible hoses listed in NPD for the rear, would you replace them too?

Can you think of anything else?
Old 02-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You only need to buy one set of shoes But yes, I'd replace the rear brake hose while you've got everything torn apart.

Also, keep an eye out for axle grease. If the axle seals need to be replaced, now's the time to do it.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM
Joe67
Banned

+1 for hoses, and...

why are wheel cylinders 20 bucks?
at my local autozone they are $7
Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

I think the parts houses count on people just wanting to order all the parts from one place. I was going to price those at NAPA anyway. Thanks for the heads up though.

Starfury,

The NPD catalog just says "shoe", so I assumed it was not both sides of the car, and I would need two. I'll look into that later. I will price that at NAPA too. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

I am not replacing the front to back brake lines at this time. Do they need "flushing" somehow? (compressed air? )

YES, I know I sound green at this. As I said in another post, I am having a professional go though the whole system when I am done.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:45 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

Weasel, keep asking those "dumb" questions. There are plenty of people like me (ignorant) lurking around who want the same answers. My brakes are going to get the same treatment in about a month.
Old 02-14-2009, 07:54 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

You going CSRP disc too? Love your Vert.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:04 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I'm saving up for the disc kit, but for now I'm reworking the drums front and rear. Sounds crazy to spend money now and replace with discs later, but I can't afford the disc kit now and I WANT TO DRIVE!!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:05 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Man, you and I are in the exact same situation. My car is ready for the road other than brakes. I just couldn't bare spending $$$ on my drums which are not going to be around forever. The CSRP kit is only $575 shipped to VA man, you should go for it.
Old 02-14-2009, 08:14 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Err, yeah, these aren't exactly specialized parts. Get what you can from your local Napa.

When you do the brakes, you'll flush them out during the bleed procedure with brake fluid. Get yourself a nice big 32oz bottle of DOT 3 fluid to flush everything with. When you've got all the lines hooked up, run through the bleed procudure with one alteration: keep pumping the pedal until fluid comes out clear, making sure to keep the m/c full. This will clean most of the crap out of the lines.

Quick Reply: Rear Drum Rework Checklist -- Leave anything out?