Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

engine/trans change for 69

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM
EnderWiggin

Default engine/trans change for 69

I'm a complete newbie to the forum and to mustangs in general. I know a bit about cars, but not enough to do an engine and tranny swap with confidence. I'm a soldier currently stationed in Afghanistan and one of my buddies in the platoon told me his old man was selling a 1969 hardtop, 250ci I6 w/ 3spd manual. He said it was straight and clean, had electronic ignition and power disc brakes up front, new points, manifold and 15" aluminums to accomodate the brakes. One spot of rust (about a nickel's worth near the rear tail light) and a bit of bondo on the front end of the passenger door. No A/C. They sent me some pictures and I made an offer of $4000 which they took because I'm a soldier and all that. I think I got a deal, but I could be wrong about that. Point is, I could afford it and I wanted it.

I want to drop a 390ci V8 into it and I read somewhere the 69 had the front end to handle it, but I should need new springs. What about the read end? I'd also like to upgrade the transmission too, but I thought I'd get people's opinions on this before I started ordering parts so that they'll be waiting for me when I get home in a few months.

I know this has probably been talked about before and if thats the case, please send me a link to the thread. Otherwise, all input will be appreciated.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Post your photos of the car, we'll help you decide if it was a good purchase. Swapping out engines and transmissions isn't rocket science, and a 390 (or better yet, a 390 with 428 heads) is a good choice.

Sounds like with the disc brakes and custom wheels, which i assume he got 4 of, you have 5 lug wheels, and that means a 5 lug rear, probably 8". Consider going to a 9" rear to accomodate the torque in that 390, and a tranny, toploaders are always solid choices.

Pics are worth 200,014 words.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:36 PM
EnderWiggin

Sorry, internet in Afghanistan sucks. Here are a few pics that were sent to me.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...-3spd-man.html

I found a guy who'll sell me a 383 stroker 351w crate for $3000. Is that a good price? Will I need new mounts?
Old 02-22-2009, 06:03 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Looks like you got a good deal on the mustang.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:23 PM
JamesW

Welcome to the forum. Are you out of Hood? I'm a Mod on the site and I live in Waco.

That coupe looks pretty good for the price for the pics. You gotta figure it's not been abused much through it's life with a 6 in it. The idea of a small block stroker is a lot better than a 390. Easier to find parts for and the nose weight is lighter. If the stroker motor is put together and solid, that's a good price.

Yes, you'll need a different transmission and a new rear end. Probably will also want to go with disc brakes on the front if it doesn't have them. I suspect with a 6 banger,it's got front drums.

Check out my website and shoot me an email and we'll talk.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:30 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

james, he said it has power discs up front
and it has a 5 lug rear, which makes me think it would be a 8in, although if he did what i would have done it could have a 9in which you will be set for a v8 swap, especially one with power
Old 02-22-2009, 06:35 PM
JamesW

Well shut mah mouth!

Guess I should have actually looked before assssssuuuuuminggg
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
Well shut mah mouth!

Guess I should have actually looked before assssssuuuuuminggg
haha
Old 02-22-2009, 07:42 PM
EnderWiggin

Yeah I'm out of Hood with 1ID and I live in Houston. I'd appreciate any leads you can give me in the area -- Waco/Temple/Killeen, esp. a good paint shop. Nice website BTW.

I'm pretty much sold on the stroker, but have no idea about the trans. Any suggestions? I've gotta do all my homework on the internet, so if you have any good websites I can parts shop, that'd be awesome. I'm trying to order the parts now, so it will all be waiting for me when I get home this summer and I can get right to work.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Looks like a nice car and a good deal based on the pictures. You will need new frame brackets and motor mounts for the V8 you chose. I also think the stroker is the better way to go. Good luck with it and keep posting.

Thank you for your service to your country.

Quick Reply: engine/trans change for 69