Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Factory Performance Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 02:30 PM
suretron

Default Factory Performance Parts

I recently purchased a restored 1966 red convertible with a 289 2V. My goal is to increase the engine performance while staying in the factory realm of parts. Specifically I would like to change the cam/lifters, intake, carburetor, ignition and exhaust with the identical parts that would have came off the factory floor in a 271HP/289 back in 1966.

Being fairly new to Fords I'm not sure what the specs are for the above mentioned parts let alone where to purchase them.

Any feed back is greatly appreciated.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome! ...Specs would be a K code!
Old 02-19-2009, 03:12 PM
suretron

Thanks. Maybe I didn't ask the question correctly, I understand what the K stands for in the VIN number, but for example how would you order an intake manifold from Ford? that would have been an original factory part found on a 1966 K code 289? Or are you saying simple state I need an intake for a 1966 mustang K model 289?
Old 02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
99nNJ
2nd Gear Member

Try Posting this over in the Classic Mustangs Section, you will get a lot more responses.
And Welcome to the forum!
Old 02-19-2009, 05:24 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

https://mustangforums.com/forum/new-...s-section.html
Old 02-19-2009, 06:20 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Original K-code parts are not available except used and you would need several thousand $ for the parts you listed as only a builder looking for a perfect restoration or clone would buy them and sellers know that charging huge premiums.

You are better off buying more capable aftermarket parts and if you are looking for a stock appearance, paint your heads and intake the same color as the block. You can even order parts with Ford branding that are made by Edelbrock, MSD, etc. if you have to have the Ford logo and part number.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

welcome

have you considered changing the rear gearing? it's a cheap performance upgrade that doesnt take away from the originality of what you have.

plenty of guys on this board are ok with putting new cams, heads etc on old engines with unknown history but this can lead to failures in the remaining old parts.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:58 PM
suretron

Thanks for the feed back. It's tough deciding which direction to go in that I want to increase the performance but making sure the changes don't de-value the car. I spoke to a Ford appraiser this morning and he suggested getting a Ford performance catalog and ordering the parts from there, not sure where to obtaing such a catalog, but that sounds like what you were recommending regarding aftermarket parts with a Ford brand on it.

The re-built motor itself has low miles, so I feel fairly confidient with changing out the cam and a few bolt ons. I haven't thought about changing out the rearend, but I do know it needs some attention as it sounds a like rough when turning corners (maybe the carrier bearing). But that to is hard, once you start making changes where do you draw the line.

I think for this project car I don't want to make too drastic changes, but do have plans for a wheel stander down the road.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:07 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Here you go:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/home/home.asp

But, only use this to find the part number. Order them from here:

www.summitracing.com
Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
suretron

Just what I needed, Thanks

Quick Reply: Factory Performance Parts