Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

reasonings for choosing an alum rad over brass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 10:15 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

Default reasonings for choosing an alum rad over brass?

well, ive been seeing a bunch of people on here putting alum radiators in their cars instead of brass ones, and im just wondering your reasoning behind this? weight really isnt a huge deal in a street car, and it takes a thicker alum rad to match the cooling that a brass one does.
so do you guys choose the slum rad just for looks? or what? im just curious as to why
Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

A brass radiator may be slightly more efficient in cooling, however it is not as strong. You can take two radiators of the same dimensions, one aluminum and one brass. The brass cooling tubes will be smaller as they don't have the strength of aluminum. Let's say each is three inches thick and the brass radiator is a four row. The aluminum could be a two row, but the tubes in each row could be 1 1/4" wide, giving it almost twice the cooling capacity of the brass radiator.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:32 PM
JamesW

A 2 row aluminum radiator supposedly cools better than a 3 row brass
They are lighter.
The generic ones, such as AFCO, are cheaper
Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Does the AL dissipate heat quicker than brass or is that just a myth? I think I heard that somewhere. I plan on running an AL rad in my setup. Haven't got that far yet.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:03 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

brass dissapates heat better than AL, from what ive heard, its the best thing to dissapate heat. makes sence, thats why they would use that in houses as apposed to AL?
Old 02-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Brass/copper radiators do conduct heat better than aluminum...but what fakesnakes said is true. Aluminum is stronger and allows for more contact area between the fins and the cooling tubes.

And for some of us, weight is a factor An aluminum radiator might weigh half as much as a brass unit. Combine that with the savings from an aluminum intake, aluminum water pump, aluminum heads, and a battery relocation, and you've got a significant drop in front end weight. This not only lowers overall curb weight, but it improves weight balance as well.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:18 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Well I guess I was all -bleep- up. Now I know, thanks. That is why I tune in!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:10 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Although the questions have been answered, I don't see any brass aftermarket radiators out there... Not saying there isn't any, but that should be a sign.
Also, all modern cars use aluminum (and plastic) nowadays.

I think it safe to say that aluminum is the way to go.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

All radiators for these cars are 'aftermarket.' Brass radiators are available from just about any Mustang shop, as well as your local chain parts stores.

The reason new cars have gone to aluminum/plastic tank radiators is for weight savings. CAFE standards have forced vehicle manufacturers to cut weight wherever they can, and chopping the radiator weight in half is a pretty big deal from an engineering standpoint.

Last edited by Starfury; 02-22-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:54 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Starfury
All radiators for these cars are 'aftermarket.' Brass radiators are available from just about any Mustang shop, as well as your local chain parts stores.
Sorry, I wasn't really clear in my post...
I was referring to companies like BECOOL, GRIFFIN etc... that carry universal sizes.
The brass ones are repros that will bolt right on while retaining the original black paint look

Quick Reply: reasonings for choosing an alum rad over brass?