Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Moving the battery to the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default Moving the battery to the trunk

Hi friends,

I am about to have my battery moved to the trunk and would like to have your opinion on this. I am thinking that it would help to solve/reduce three issues:

- The steering will be a little bit easier with 40 pounds less on the front
- Accelerating in 1st / 2nd gear will be more efficient with more weight on the back (i.e. less spinning of the wheels)
- Braking will be a little less dangerous as my rear wheels have a tendency to block due to the absence of weight

Do you agree with these three points? Any big reason why I should not do it?

For information, it is a 1967 coupe, T5, manual steering and disc brakes on the front.

Thanks a lot and have a nice day!

Last edited by _Remi; 02-24-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:26 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Unless your racing, I don't see that you'll notice any improvement of relocating 40 pounds. The car is at least 2500-3000lbs, so moving 40 pounds around, I can't see that doing much.

Here is a quick and dirty link for info.
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1967-1...ifications.htm
Old 02-24-2009, 07:59 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Wasn't it the case on the road versions of the Shelby?

I don't plan to race it, I just plan to make it a little bit better. Don't you think that 40 pounds directly on the front wheels makes the steering more difficult?
Old 02-24-2009, 08:09 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I agree, unless you're building a radical car and every 10s are important, 40 lbs is insignificant.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:21 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

It will clean up the engine bay, and like you said, easier steering and more traction. It may not be as important, but its still a difference. Check JamesW's (i think?) signature for his website, good picture by picture steps
Old 02-24-2009, 09:07 PM
JamesW

It's a good mod if you need the space. I don't think it made any noticeable difference in terms of steering, braking or acceleration
Old 02-24-2009, 09:56 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

We did it on the 66, it cleaned up the engine compartment a olot, it is worth it just for the looks alone.

We bought a Taylor kit, it came with a box and enough wire to do the job. The box mounted well on the right side of the trunk once we removed the remains of some kind of bracket that held a jack or something down.

We also ran a ground all the way to the bell housing instead of using the short ground provided in the kit.

We ran the cables along the bottom of the car with some rubber coated metal bracket clamps, not the plastic pos ones provided in the kit.

Made for a very clean instal.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:41 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The street Shelby had the battery in the stock spot the road raced ones had it in the trunk since its a race all race cars do it for safety.Drag racers put it in the back but it don't give you anymore traction you notice.If you want better handling get a export brace and monte carlo bar.If you want better traction get traction bars.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:13 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

While alone it may not make a significant weight difference, it does add up when combined with aluminum heads/intake/radiator. When you drop a couple hundred pounds off the front end, part of which is relocated to the trunk for better weight distribution, it does make a little difference. These cars are very nose heavy, so something is better than nothing.

Just don't expect a monumental difference in the way the car feels
Old 02-25-2009, 01:48 AM
derwin66
1st Gear Member

I just did it on my 65. I used a marine box and secured it in the trunk. I had to so I could install a passenger side Paxton supercharger. It does clear up the engine bay and looks much neater.

Quick Reply: Moving the battery to the trunk