Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Donk Donk Donk, Another Bites The Dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:16 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Default Donk Donk Donk, Another One Bites The Dust

Well, I killed my third clutch in a year yesterday. I noticed the clutch pedal getting long, on my last drive, so I adjusted the linkage before heading in to work yesterday. When I got to town, the pedal was long again, so I knew something was up. It was not making noise or smelling. I called a buddy to see if I could bring it to his shop to take a look, but did not make it. The clutch completely went out while I was in the middle of the street. I was unable to get it into 1st or 2nd to get out of the way. I finally got it in third, but it would never come out of third. I had to just shut her off in a parking lot. It looks like my Hays strip clutch came completely apart and may have trashed some of the tranny too...in hind site, I wish I would have left it dead in the street, but that is really embarrassing.

I have got to find a clutch and pressure plate combination the will stand up to this stroker...replacing clutches twice a year is a big pain!

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 02-27-2009 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:07 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that Urban. I wish you luck on finding something that will work with your engine combination.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

ohhhh man ... that's bad to hear. what was it? the clutch disk or pressureplate (fingers) ?

maybe call those fellas to see if they have somethign bulletproof for you

www.mcleodind.com

Kalli
Old 02-27-2009, 08:47 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

its really hard to believe these clutches aren't holding up properly. im guessing that when you drive this thing around town your not romping on it every time you leave a light.

what clutches have you gone thru so far? (brand/model wise)
Old 02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

We have not pulled the tranny yet to know for sure what happened, but it appears that the disc came apart and started stacking up, causing the clutch pedal and pressure plate slack. So far I have been running Hays pressure plates (currently a 2800#) and several different Hays clutches (currently their strip clutch).

As for my driving habits, I drive a lot of highway miles and do some launching, but not a great deal. The long term plan is to have a hotrod that I can run on the track for the occasional bracket fun, but mostly be a toy on the roads. I have been working on the tune, so still have not dynoed the engine, but I am guessing I made some improvements that pushed the clutch over the edge (probably 450-480 horsepower).

I am thinking I need to go to a race type clutch. I have to baddest clutch Hays offers, so I may need to move to something in the Centerforce dual friction range. Any suggestions?
Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Mustang and enbarrassment go together,probably racked up more miles on a flat bed then driving

I dont care for the Centerforce.I have(had) a new street/strip Mcleod that we killed on the dyno(making about 475 crank hp), dont really know what it would have made.They have a dual disc which is a few steps up from mine.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:12 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

So Iskwezm, what clutch are you running on that 475hp engine?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
So Iskwezm, what clutch are you running on that 475hp engine?
Right now its just their street/strip,im guessing the lower end series(500).They have the 600(600 hp) and 800 series that use the Kevlar. We never got to dial in the carb because the clutch started to let go after about 10-12 pulls.If might have been making more, but only read 404 at the wheels before we gave up
Old 02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

how do the ford king cobra clutches compare to these?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:25 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I just looked up my latest clutch and pressure plate. I was running the Hays 11" street/strip clutch with a 2400# long style pressure plate. Supposedly this was rated for 500hp, but it did not last.

I am not sure they make a King Cobra in a 1-1/16-10 spline clutch that will work with a toploader...

It looks like Centerforce has four options (Centerforce I, Centerforce II, Dual Friction, and DFX). I do not see a reference to 500, 600, and 800 series.

Quick Reply: Donk Donk Donk, Another Bites The Dust