Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Some TLC for Jinxed..waxon/waxoff

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Some TLC for Jinxed..waxon/waxoff

I about fell over when I hit the hood with the buffer after using some Mcquires (spl) cleaning waxing stuff. After about an hour of sweat and the use of some high quality elbow grease I now have a totally different colored car [sm=bling.gif] Enjoy.
I couldn't beleive the difference...

[:-]

[sm=smiley20.gif]

Heres a good one, to see the difference.

More comming...
Old 06-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Some TLC for Jinxed..waxon/waxoff

Thank God for buffers....

Tada...

Old 06-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Did you use the Maguire's 3-stage system? They have a cleaner, then polish, then wax system that when you are done you can see a clear image of your face in it. Outstanding stuff. I did that to my 03 Mach, and man what a difference it makes is shine quality.
You thought you needed a paint job, didn't you? Not now, huh?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

Looking good! I used to love what Mequire's Body Scrub and Polish did for my cars, but was always disappointed in their wax. It seemed to last about 2 weeks! I later saw an online comparison that showed it did last only a few weeks.

Lemme ask you this: have you tried a clay bar yet? I never thought I needed one because I keep my car so clean. Finally broke down and bought the Mother's clay bar kit a few weeks ago. Man, what a difference! Your finish feels like glass! Wax goes on and comes back off so easily.

Looks like you buffed off a bunch of oxidation in the pics - so now see what a clay bar can do in addition. You'll be surprised!
Old 06-13-2005, 12:39 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Na, I just used a bottle of their cleaning wax stuff (I cant remember what the name is.) It says something about restoring and removing oxidation on it tho. I have used the 3 step on my ranger tho... and your right it is an awsome package... very very mirror like on black paint. As for the clay bar...never heard of it next time I have some time on my hands I might give er a try. I'm still gone paint it, after the body work is finshed. I'm daily driving her this week since April has to drive my truck, cause her SUV is in the shop. Hopefully after my vacation (next week! can't wait) I will be able to start work on the engine and maybe get some wheels and tires.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:44 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

What????You don't wax your car every two weeks? Lazy bum! Tell us more about this Mother's clay bar. What is it? Where do you get it?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

Ya, what is a clay bar? How much does it cost? How do you use it/directions?

thanks
Old 06-13-2005, 02:16 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Tell us more about this Mother's clay bar. What is it? Where do you get it?
Well, I read about something similar in a Griott's Garage catalog a few years back. (If you don't know what Griott's is, don't worry... No-one I know can afford their stuff! [:@]) But it was only last year that I learned the Mother's company makes a much more affordable one.

A clay bar is just that... The Mother's one is yellow and about the size of a bar of soap. It looks, feels, and acts just like the clay children play with. (As a matter of fact, my 4 year old made a "kitty" from mine while I wasn't looking.) The kit also comes with a spritzer bottle of Mother's Quick Detailer. The way it works is, you spray on some of the detailer (which acts as a lubricant) and you then wipe the bar of clay through the lubricant. The first pass feels gritty; the second feels smoother; and the third is like glass. You wad the clay up every few minutes, and the contaminants are "absorbed" into the clay. You don't apply any pressure at all; and you do about a square foot at a time. To do your entire car takes about as long as a wax job; but then you do need to follow the clay with a coat of wax (also included in the kit).

Sounds odd, I know. But once you try it, you'll swear by it. I suppose it amounts to a fool-proof wet-sanding... It removes oxidation and contaminants you never even realized were in your paint. They say a bar of clay does about 3 automobiles before it has to be disgarded. I think I paid about $16 or $18 for the kit at my local Pep Boys. Honestly guys - I highly recommend this. You won't be sorry.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:18 PM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

I Googled "Mother's Clay Bar" and got this site right away:

http://www.web-cars.com/detail/clay.php
Old 06-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Jinxed67Stang
2nd Gear Member

I'm gonna have to give that a try, still got some perminate dirt and some oxidation to get off er still. I've heard of something kinda like that for chrome but I can't remember what it was called. It did the same thing, had a tube of stuff you put on the chrome and a polishing matterial like clay you used to clean it with, think it was a rust remover maybe? (dunno poor memory). Thanks for the info Dan, when I break down and try it I will post ya all the info and result pics

Quick Reply: Some TLC for Jinxed..waxon/waxoff