Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Unbelievable,picked up a Ford 9" rear for free

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 02:17 AM
interwest
1st Gear Member

Default Unbelievable,picked up a Ford 9" rear for free

Well, one of the guys I used to work with just gave me a Ford 9" rear end with 3.89s, spool, and disc brakes. Looks like it will bolt right into my 66. Also have an 8.8 with 3.73s traction lock, drums and 31 spline. Really no question I'm assuming between the 9" and the 8.8, but now my question is, I also have a set of 3.73s with auburn lockers for the 9", Spool or locker?
Old 03-06-2009, 05:14 AM
truplayr251

It really depends what you want to do with your car. If your car is built solely for the strip then you want to use the spool, but if you want a street/strip car or a street car then undoubtedly you want to use the locker.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:33 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

So what are your plans for the car?....great find though!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I would never use a spool on a street driven car. Plus, it is probably just my paranoid thinking, anyting free needs a thorough going through before it goes in my car. I would go with the 3.73 (if running an overdrive tranny) and the LSD.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:43 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

I'd personally take a spool over a locker. The spool makes it harder to turn, and the turning radius suffers. But it doesn't jump around turn like a locker. HATE that ratchet action. I drive with one in mine and you forget about it after a while.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
interwest
1st Gear Member

Originally, more of a street car, but now I definitely want to get her on the track as well.
Yes, checked it out, and we're having the brakes looked at, so I will now have discs all the way around.
I've gotten a mixed amount of answers, some people would never run a spool on the street, some people say they've been using it for years with no problems.
I'm thinking going with the spool at first, and if I don't like it, just switch it over to the 3.73s with the lockers.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Spools on the street are flat dangerous, and they eat tires. The tires need to be able to spin at different speeds. Lockers aren't bad at all, they just take some getting used to.

That said, you don't have an Auburn locker, because the only locker Auburn makes is an E-locker. Auburn makes great limited slip differentials, which is what you should have. Put that in the rear with whichever gears you prefer and you'll be set.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Gun Jam

turetrac FTW

might want to consider that as well
this ones for an 8" but they make them in 9 as well. I really like mine and I daily drive my car.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

-Gun
Old 03-06-2009, 05:57 PM
interwest
1st Gear Member

Gun: Yea, actually I was thinking about all my options with rear ends, gears, etc. these combos were the ones that happened to be God sent to me either for free as gifts or a nominal charge.

Anyone with actual experience w/ spools on the street, in all honestly how much harder is it to turn? I have M/T ET street radials on the rear, and I "heard" that if you put a little more pressure in them on the street, you can reduce some of the chirping on turns. Thanks guys so far, I really appreciate it. I'm not running the car in any rain, wet streets, nor daily driver. Sunny days (hard to come by in WA these days....), weekends and the track really.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:44 PM
truplayr251

Well in that case, you will probably be happier with the spool.

Quick Reply: Unbelievable,picked up a Ford 9" rear for free