Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 'stang 2 speed tranny need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:48 PM
toadboy

Default 65 'stang 2 speed tranny need help

The car is actually my neighbor's and I'm helping him work on it (I got a '66 F-100).

the inline 6 that was in it had a snapped piston rod. He had bought a Futura off of me and dropped the I6 from it into his mustang. The last few days I helped him work on it to get it running and it sounds great.

The only issue is after gettng it running the tranny isn't doing anything. The fluid is fine but nothing is going on. I'm not mch on trannies myself, all I know about it is it's a 2 speed. I've tried to look around and see if I can find some info on it, but having trouble. If ne1 has any sites or info that would hep out it would be great.

Mainly what I'm lookin for is how rare the 2 speed is and if it will be hard to find a new one. Or if it'd be better to get this one rebuilt. Also if ne1 knows where to get one farily easily and such.

I know it isn't my car but it was my neighbor's dad's car who recently passed away. His mom gave it to him because she knew he would get it running, and it's gonna be a "in memory of" car for his dad. Just trying to help out all i can.

Ne help is greatly appreciated, feel free to ask if you need any other information.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

2 speed....wtf

NEVER heard of it. Sounds like a bad idea. Sure it is a 2 speed?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:21 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Auto or manual?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:53 PM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

I would say it's a three speed.... Do you have the vacuum connected to the transmission? It's needed for the automatic to shift!
Old 03-17-2009, 07:59 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Although Ford did have a 2 speed trans in production until mid 60's, it was never (to my knowledge) installed in a Mustang. It was available in other mkdel cars like the Falcon and Futura. The Mustang auto was the Cruise-O-Matic 3 speed.

The stock Mustang 3 speed auto was pretty common, but it went out of production many moons ago, and replaced with the C4. If you really want the trans the car was originally built with, have yours (his) rebuilt. You could easily upgrade to a C4. Or, with a little work (and cash), upgrade to an AOD.

BUT, pay carefull attention to the bolt pattern at the back of the block. It changed in (I think) '66? to the standard pattern we see on Windsors these days.

Last edited by .boB; 03-17-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

powerglide! haha
Old 03-18-2009, 10:21 AM
toadboy

yes the vacuum is hooked up.

It's a 2 speed, the shifter only has drive and low on it. I haven't checked the data plate yet but i'm gonna assume the the code matches one that doesnt specify what tranny it is. Could it be that it was special ordered with a 2 speed?

If it is special ordered maybe I need to make sure he hangs on to the old engine that was in it and see if it's ok to rebuild.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

Its a C4, 3 speed auto. The early shifters all had low, green dot (Go) and open dot (starts in second) Its an odd shift pattern to be sure but its a 3 speed tranny. There are no 2 speed mustangs unless someone installed a powerglide in one.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
rbrown22
2nd Gear Member

Green Dot! Black Dot and Green Dot are Drive.. Black is winter driving 2nd and 3rd gear only.. Green Dot is 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Low is 1st only off course..

I rebuilt my C4 for less than $100 bucks. It uses Type F fluid only also..

Last edited by rbrown22; 03-18-2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:28 AM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

When you rebuild a C4 with all new clutches and bands, there is really no reason to go back to Type F fluid which is getting progressively harder to come by. Its a great time to move to the more current Mercon fluids. Almost all the clutch/band material manufactures products are compatible with the newer fluids but you should check with your supplier.

Mine shifts great and solidly on the Mercon fluid since its rebuild about 6 months ago. Was recommended by the rebuilder.

Quick Reply: 65 'stang 2 speed tranny need help