Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Should I tackle this resto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Two things to keep in mind.

#1 You will be spending much much more money than you're thinking to restore this car. Nothing specifically about YOUR car but old Mustangs in general.

#2 Someone said it earlier. This will not be a summer gig. It may take years. Most Mustang project never get done and only because we only keep wanting to do something more to the car.

My first car was a 73 Coupe. Wasn't my favorite then or now but it's the reason I got into Mustangs. If it had been my old man's car I would have definitely kept it. IT your choice man. It's only worth it if it's worth it to you.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:07 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

mines going on 5 years but for over the last year and a half ive been injured. never know when something is gonna change in an instant
Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
mines going on 5 years but for over the last year and a half ive been injured. never know when something is gonna change in an instant
I got my 65 coupe in 1997 or 1998. I've driven it maybe for about a combined time of 6 months to date. I have to get it running and driving by next summer but I can already see it going down for more stuff after that.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:21 PM
Eric4

I'm confident that when my dad sees me working on it, he will join in. I think that he will enjoy working on his old car. We will probably go on the route that most of you are suggesting, get it running and fix the major cosmetics, then we will see how the rest goes.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:25 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Good father son time. Me and my dad enjoy restoring his truck. We are also getting ready for mine to be redone.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Eric4

Here is an update. I'm home for spring break for a week and decided to start some work. The pics are just showing as much rust as possible. It looks as if it is all surface rust. The garage is all clean for the car to get wheeled in, i just need to get a tire fixed tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advise on what to start out with first? I figured that i should start small, but I've never restored a car before haha.

Thanks in advance

Old 04-12-2009, 08:20 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Is that roof rusted through? Looks like some serious rust up there. Your correct though in that most of the lower rust (chassis/frame) looks to be surface.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Eric4

How could i tell if the roof is surface rust or deep rust?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Some of that roof rust looks pretty deep. At a minimum it will be very thin.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 PM
dcohen
4th Gear Member

The roof doesnt look bad at all to me, looks like surface rust

surface rust can be sanded down, primed filled etc without a lot of trouble, unless there are places where the rust is all the way through the metal then you are in the clear

the car looks solid from the pictures, go for it man, some people dont like the 71-73 body style but i think they look good

start by getting it running and go from there

drain all the old gas out, check the oil and water, put a little fresh gas in, get a good battery and see what happens

good luck man

Quick Reply: Should I tackle this resto?