Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Should I tackle this resto?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 07:38 PM
Eric4

Default Should I tackle this resto?

This is my dad's first car. 1973 Mach 1 351 C. It has been sitting in the garage for about 17 years and just this last year we took it out because we re modeled our garage. Now it is sitting outside under a cover and every time i look at it, i think of restoring it. I have wanted this car to run since i was 15 (i'm 19 now) and now he is considering selling it because he has no time to restore it.
I dont know much about cars, but i have been reading around these forums for about a month trying to soak up as much information as i can. Is it possible to do a decent percentage of the work myself? I'm not saying engine work but some body work, interior, and some simple modifications? Or will i have to send everything out and get it professionally done?

All i'm trying to say is, should i try to get this car from my dad before he tries to sell it? and if so, could i tackle this restoration?

Also, is there anything else you can tell me about the car i may not know?

Old 03-21-2009, 07:45 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

I am no fan of the 73 but your fathers car looks like its in good shape. Any rust or body damage? As long as you have paicients (spelling) and realize this is no summer project than you should be fine.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Eric4

From what i remember, there is rust on the roof, but otherwise i think it is pretty good. I would go out and check but i'm away at school. I'm not a huge fan of the 73 either but the 351 C makes it interesting. I would much rather get a 65 fastback but those arent easy to find. I'm patient and pay attention to all of the little details.

Last edited by Eric4; 03-21-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:49 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Plus side: Man that looks fun. Why not give it a go?

Down Side : are you crazy? Restoring a car in this economy, good luck!

All in all its your decision. Cars take patience and lots of money and time. If you have both of those I believe you have found your answer
Old 03-21-2009, 09:08 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Was the car running when it was parked 17 years ago? Was the garage dry? Does the engine turn over or has it seized? It looks like a really fun project and could mean some truely memorable time spent with your father getting it running again. Might be fun to see you you could just get it running (this would increase its sale price as well).

As for you being able to do the work thats your choice regardless of what you currently know or any experience you have. There are a lot of people on these forums who had never touched a car before buying and starting on their classic. The search feature here will answer a lot of your questions and if not just ask. You can learn a LOT from Google searches as well. Everyone here started out knowing nothing at all about cars at some point. If you really want to restore the car you can! Just depends on how bad you want to and how much you want to learn and do yourself.

Something else.. If your dad is willing to give you the car to restore but you'd prefer a 65 you could always look/ask around and do a trade. Perhaps he'd be willing to help you out on buying a 65 project with the money from the 73s sale.

All that said.. financially you'd likely be better off forgetting about the car (sell it or keep it for now) and concentrate all on school.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:30 PM
Eric4

The car was running before it was parked for 17 years and the garage was mostly dry. I'm not sure if the engine can turn over or not. I understand about concentrating on school and all, but I know that I would be kicking myself if we didn't at least give it some more thought on restoring it.

Also, do you think it would have better value if we restored it to original? I despise the gold paint and brown interior, but if we were restoring it to sell, i understand why it would be important to keep the same paint scheme.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:00 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

I say take run at it. Start small to see if you can really get into it. Personally, I started by taking off the front valance and fixing it up. Then I moved on the headlight buckets. Eventually I was taking off fenders, doing body work, all kinds of stuff. You don't need to commit to diving in and stripping the car to a shell to decide if resto is for you.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:37 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I agree with HGC.
Get it running, and address the major cosmetic issues as you have the time and $$$. You and your dad could have lots of fun getting this car back on the road. Take it one step at a time and realize that it is a long term thing. Enjoy the process (and the car)!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

if that car is solid buy it, check the floors, pour water in the cowl(where the plastic screens are in front of the windsheild) make sure it doesnt wet the floor pans, check the frame rails, check the trunk floor and check the rear quarters....

it looks to be in decent shape for a project i say go for it as long as you have the funds to make it happen cappin

Last edited by rmodel65; 03-21-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:09 PM
Eric4

Thanks for all of the advice and the fast responses everyone. When I go home for spring break, i'll check for more rust and clean the baby up. I'll keep everyone updated with pics too

Quick Reply: Should I tackle this resto?