Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cleaning the Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Erks Eagles

Default Cleaning the Engine

Hey everyone, I have a question on cleaning the engine bay. I would love some input on the best way to clean the engine as well as any recommendations on any upgrades to things, such as wires, etc. thanks and yes I know it is one dirty engine bay.

Old 03-27-2009, 03:33 PM
ky
America ftw

tape a plastic bag over the distributor and pressure wash the whole thing.

then if you want you can remove as much as you want so you can repaint it. or at least the front of the engine.

thats what my dad does on his. when he cleans it real well he might do some touchup spraying on anything that mightve flaked away from heat.

you can also take anything off of the shock towers and fender aprons and rough them up enough to spray a coat of satin black.

otherwise you can pull the engine and tranny and strip the entire bay and repaint it all.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:48 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Steam......It will do wonders. Your's actually looks like an easy job. A little spray bomb afterwards will do wonders!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:57 PM
photocliff
2nd Gear Member

Also tape off the alternator before you spray anything in there
Old 03-28-2009, 11:13 AM
mstg007
2nd Gear Member

Wow. Thats nice to see, I think you engine bay looks pretty clean to me, because that is acutally what mine looks like! lol.

I would be curious to see your before and after pictures on this?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:19 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

recommendations on any upgrades to things: mote carlo bar, export brace

I usually spray some wheel cleaner around the greas of the engine. will get off any grease oil nicely.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
david01130
4th Gear Member

Brake cleaner works well to get grease off hard to reach places. Rinse it down. Sand the engine compartment down. Mask off. And paint. Its not too hard and pretty cheap to do and looks great after. Pulling the engine is not needed for cleaning up or painting and probably not worth it anyways. Dont be afraid to use the rattle can. I think your engine bay will clean up real nicely. Maybe throw a PS or PB kit on there.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:23 PM
JamesW

I know this sounds all wussy..but here goes..

Think about the visual asthetics and make a plan on how to 'organize' it.
- replace all the spagetti electrical wiring with fresh, cleanly run lengths of wire. Run the wire like you would run wiring when building a house, so that it all follows a path and branches off.
- Use high quality terminations and cover with heat shrink. The crimp on plastic spades say 'in a hurry'.
- Cover the wiring runs with small black corregated plastic wrap, insullation wrapping tape (not electrical tape) or the factory style cloth braid. Don't use the bright yellow, blue, green, purple or pink plastic wire sheathing. Black only.
- Organize your spark plug wires so that they lay flat and run visually appealing. You may have to buy replacements and cut to length.
- cut some slack out of the heater hoses and run them along the intake so that they are unobtrusive.
- Take some Go-Jo to all the rubber tubing and hoses. It will clean them right up.
- Lose the blue air filter. It visually conflicts with the blue of the engine block.

- as others have said. Steam clean (different than pressure wash), some rattle can paint, and you'll be looking sharp!

http://www.midnightdsigns.com/Mustan...DSC00140-1.JPG
Old 03-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Erks Eagles

Thanks for the replies guys, I will start working on it soon. I will definitely clean up the wires and hoses and make it shine more, hopefully. 1 more question that i have often wondered, what is the purpose of the Monte Carlo bar?
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 PM
JamesW

It just triangulates the engine bay and stiffens the front of the car up a little.

Quick Reply: Cleaning the Engine