Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Whats wrong with these pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:05 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default Whats wrong with these pictures!!!!!!!!!!

Well today I was able to leave work a little early and thought I would put some time into the car. The "Wifie" is getting a little exicited about maybe getting to drive her car soon. So away I went to the garage. The car is very close to being finished and I thought I had most of the parts to "get R done". At least most of the common replacment parts. Soooooo, I started to rebuild the vent window frames and pulled the "left" rubber vent window weatherstripe and put it in the frame, and rivited everything together. Guess what? When I assembled the unit and was checking the fit I noticed that the rubber gasket did'nt fit right. Again I looked at the bag that I had taken it out of and it said "Left". After comparing the two, I found out that it had been packaged wrong. CRAP!!!!!!!!!! I know when I placed the order, I did say "its for a 65" (like they ALWAYS ask). Whan I recieved the order, I had a tonn of stuff for both the 65 and a 68 (which I have no clue why they sent). So what gives? I know its a bad time to be building a car but I was caught in the middle when the economy tanked (thank your local congrossman and sinitor for their contribution) and since having most of the parts thought it would be better to finish. I guess looking on the bright side, at least I can finish the passanger door tomorrow, providing that something else don't go wrong, and that will be that much more out of the way. The drivers side will have to wait. I will be sending the "wrongly packaged part" back Monday and maybe get the right part on the way. Maybe they will "get R right" this time. Oh yeh, I do hate seeing those obnoxious (at least to me) words on the bag, "Made in Taiwan", what a shame.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

argh!!! I feel you here. It's just always something isn't it.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:16 PM
wareagle
1st Gear Member

that always sucks. i just dry fitted my pass rear floor from them, and the edge was stamped down, not up.

what did you use to clean up the frames, were they good, were they in bad shape.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

The frames are new. Actually they screwed that up also, one was a leftover from when I done the 67 two years ago. I ordered 67 frames and found out that one was wrong. (After rebuilding it and finding out that it did'nt fit). It was about an inch short. I recieved a 67 and a 65 frame. I kept the 65 frame knowing that I would need it.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Aside from their screw-ups have you used these new vent window frames? The chrome on ours (both vents and rear quarters) are really bad. Quarters I was going to get the replacement chrome frame section and reuse the rest. Vent I've been tossing the idea of ordering complete replacements or just the chrome frame.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

So is what you are saying, those are for a 67-68? They labeled them as 65-66? I need a set for my 68. I also need the latch for the passenger side. Maybe it would be easier and less confusing to sell them to me and you can order a new set. Then they would think you were a great customer since you buy so much stuff.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:22 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Sorry, the rubber seals are for a 65-6, but for the same side. The chrome that comes on these frames is very poor. I thought about having them re-chromed at a local shop but time is closing in and I will probably use them as they are. I have talked to people that have done this before and had great results. Since the re-chromers don't have do any prep work (labor) and simply have to run them thru the dipping process, it saves you money. The stainless can be buffed and most scratches can be removed (even dents) however the pivit pin on the window frame will have to be painted. Sometimes to repair and re-chrome the original frames is VERY expensive, but they offer the best fit. Oh, I forgot to tell about the other big foul up. I was waiting for a cable clutch to come in when I ordered all the this other stuff (like for 4 weeks) and finally a box appeared in the garage. At first I thought it was just packaged differently than what I had usually seen. After picking the box up I knew right away that it was something else and after opening it up it had a backing plate in it. It had my name and address on one label and also another fellows from up North. I noticed a phone number for the man on the label and gave him a call. I ask if he has been looking for a backing plate and he said "I've been waiting for about 6 weeks". So I sent him the backing plate but never found out where the cable clutch went. Does everyone go thru this now, or is it just me? "Mustangs Unlimited" was very nice when I contacted them and made things right.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:09 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Sounds like they have some unknowledgable people working there. They need some mustang people working in there!
Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

I'm not surprised to hear of the F up either. Whenever I go to the Mustangs Unlimited here in Connecticut the guys working the counter are all high school kids and they are mostly into the newer late model cars. Not to knowledgeable about the classics. That's why I double check everything when I buy parts from them.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:29 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Haven't had a problem with the one down here.

Quick Reply: Whats wrong with these pictures!!!!!!!!!!