Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
View Poll Results: What Should I do with the engine
Rebuild the Stock 289A Code
10.00%
Replace with a ~ 300HP Crate Motor
50.00%
Go EFI (mid 90s 5.0)
40.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Need Help with Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 02:33 AM
syfhler

Default Need Help with Engine

I have a 65 fastback with a 289 A code motor that still runs well but is aging.

I have not pulled the heads to see the "true" condition of the motor but I do know that a rebuilt/replace is in order. Here are my questions and I am not worried about keeping the car stock or restoring to original.

Should I rebuild the engine

or get one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-...Q5fAccessories
Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
syfhler

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:01 AM
MasterLow
1st Gear Member

Personally, i plan to go EFI once i get there. More MPG, reliability, etc. I won't have to worry about doing long drives with it.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:42 AM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

I have the EFI setup for the same reasons master laid out. If you do go EFI I recommend the 5.0 because there is a lot getting a 4.6 to work in a classic (can be done of course) but with the 5.0 you dont have to change anything on the car for it to work really. the engine is essentially separate from the rest of the car and because its a 302 block it will mount in perfectly. Plus there are a crap load of addons for the 5.0. And you can find a 5.0 in good shape most of the time in a large number of cars that are now junked that will work just fine for cheap. I got mine w/ transmission and everything I would need for the engine/trans to work all for $500. Very nice compared to $3,000+ for just an engine. But then again the 3k one would be turn key and little to no work.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

personally id look into www.fordstrokers.com the owner is a poster on here and builds great motors
Old 03-31-2009, 12:58 AM
MasterLow
1st Gear Member

oh thats right, i forgot that if you buy a donor EFI mustang (80's-90's) theres tons of parts that are interchangeable. Transmission is a big one, but tons of stuff in the engine bay too.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:36 AM
syfhler

If I go EFI route I am planning on finding a 90-93ish 5.0 with 5 spd and gut the car. Has anyone tried using the A/C from a late model 5.0 and adapting it to a 65. I still have the factory air.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:39 AM
syfhler

Originally Posted by vineman
I have the EFI setup for the same reasons master laid out. If you do go EFI I recommend the 5.0 because there is a lot getting a 4.6 to work in a classic (can be done of course) but with the 5.0 you dont have to change anything on the car for it to work really. the engine is essentially separate from the rest of the car and because its a 302 block it will mount in perfectly. Plus there are a crap load of addons for the 5.0. And you can find a 5.0 in good shape most of the time in a large number of cars that are now junked that will work just fine for cheap. I got mine w/ transmission and everything I would need for the engine/trans to work all for $500. Very nice compared to $3,000+ for just an engine. But then again the 3k one would be turn key and little to no work.
$500 bucks. Did you have to do any rebuild work on the T5 or engine. I think I need to look at JamesW's page one more time on setting up the EFI.

Last edited by syfhler; 03-31-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

No rebuild work at all. well, at first. It runs fine and when i finish the car completely then i'll pull it back out and rebuild probably to a 347. the trans is an AOD and it shifts just fine also. I got mine out of a lincoln continental so I'm sure that's why i only paid $500 as opposed to a higher price for something out of a fox body. It's the same engine and trans but you can find a 5.0 HO in a fox and not a lincoln. Ford used that engine and it's transmissions in a lot of cars on the 3 main car lines they have.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:49 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

Originally Posted by vineman
No rebuild work at all. well, at first. It runs fine and when i finish the car completely then i'll pull it back out and rebuild probably to a 347. the trans is an AOD and it shifts just fine also. I got mine out of a lincoln continental so I'm sure that's why i only paid $500 as opposed to a higher price for something out of a fox body. It's the same engine and trans but you can find a 5.0 HO in a fox and not a lincoln. Ford used that engine and it's transmissions in a lot of cars on the 3 main car lines they have.

not true Lincoln Mark7's have the 5.0HO and the AOD

Quick Reply: Need Help with Engine