Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Finally Finished the T5 Swap, some little things to work out

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Default Finally Finished the T5 Swap, some little things to work out

Finally finished the replacement of my passenger side floorboard (heater core leak) and T5 swap into my 67 this weekend with some help, it only took 21 hours of straight work, never want to do something like that again. Used the Mustang Steve cable linkage kit to finally get rid of that god awful shifter linkage that the PO put in that always went out of alignment (gonna take a plasma cutter to it as use it as scrap so no one will be cursed by it again) but now running into the issue of the clutch quadrant rubbing against the underside of the cowl. Thats going to be fixed by taking a quarter of an inch off of the quadrant so it gets the proper clearance. But now I need to make some repairs to the side of the shifter hole thanks to the PO and his aftermarket shifter.

It is so much nicer to have 5 gears as opposed to the 3 gears, shifting is so much smoother and the shifter is in such a nice place with the new handle. Also it doesn't appear that I need to shorten my driveshaft, I have enough play. I can't be sure of everything because I had not slept for a couple days when reinstalling but I am going to double check this weekend. Can't wait to finish the repairs to the tunnel so I can put down the sound deadener/heat shield I ordered. Then upgrade to a 4bbl carb and replace my belt, its going to be so much nicer.

I did the swap on my 67 289 using a cable clutch set-up, T5 bellhousing, 10.5" clutch, roller pilot bearing, 28oz flywheel. If anybody has questions feel free to ask.

Thanks alot to James and Tad and the others who pointed me in the right direction for this swap.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

come to my house and do my swap now
Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Hold on, I'll tell work that I'm leaving early so I can drive to Georgia to help somebody with their transmission I'm on it.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Good to hear, man. You'll have to drive it down here sometime
Old 04-01-2009, 02:18 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Workin on it, little more confident about it tackling the grade but I still need to get the parking brake fixed. Hell driving it to my friends house was the first time I got the car on the freeway in the year and a half I have owned it. I'm working on getting a place down in SLO or Morro Bay soon seems to be alot more classics and fun cars down that way.

Last edited by remicks; 04-01-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:07 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

definitely bring it up to SLO! haha congrats on the swap, sounds great. I want to swap in a T5 not this summer but maybe the following summer, my 3 speed auto is kind of dull
Old 04-01-2009, 06:27 AM
JamesW

That MS cable clutch is a nice design. You have to take a hammer and bang the cowl to get some clearance. My funky cable clutch setup that I had originally http://www.midnightdsigns.com/james/Cable%20Clutch.htm was a prototype iteration we welded up in Steve's garage back probably 7-8 years ago. After that he came up with the weld on quadrant design and has sold hundreds of them.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:23 AM
whitestang07
2nd Gear Member

how much was it
Old 04-01-2009, 08:31 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Congrats!
Old 04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

Does the Cable Clutch require any welding?

Quick Reply: Finally Finished the T5 Swap, some little things to work out