Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Why did the P.O. do this?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Default Why did the P.O. do this?

I noticed (a while ago but never posted about it) that the P.O. of my 67 ripped holes in my shock towers (about 2" wide, give or take). On both sides, in the same spot. Was he trying to reach a hard to get to spot, and being lazy by ripping holes in the shock towers? Was he trying to make room for something that didnt fit? The holes arent even cut well, just looks like the sheet metal was torn up. Ill post some pics once I upload them. Im thinking he did this to get to something on the upper control arms? What do you all think?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Basically, he was lazy. The holes are there to install and access zerk fitings on the upper control arms. The only other way to install them is to remove the control arms, which requires disassembling half of the front end.

At some point you really should have those holes welded up. They create weak points in the shock towers, places where cracks can start and travel outward. Noot good on such a structural piece.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

My Uncle's 70 FB has them too, pretty common.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Stepman
4th Gear Member

Mine had it too. I hate when people do stupid stuff like that. I welded in patchs last time I had the motor out. Never quite got why they didn't just put 90 degree fittings in.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

my towers were pounded out to to give more room. I pounded them back smooth.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:14 PM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

I've got them as well, PO told me when I bought the car they were to lube the UCA. Mine were cut with a torch I think. They are small and round. Someone suggested the grommet from underneath that seals the seat bolt holes might fit nicely after cleaning up the holes with a grinder
Old 04-02-2009, 04:02 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

I can't remember what they are called but most Mustang Supply places carry a new grease fitting with an install tool for this problem. It allows you to get to them without pulling anything apart.

And isn't it funny how many P/O's did really stupid things and what do you think future owners will think off us when we die and then become a P/O ourselves?

Last edited by ThanksDad; 04-02-2009 at 04:07 PM. Reason: add
Old 04-02-2009, 04:21 PM
pinboy122
1st Gear Member

I bought one of those kits and although I didnt put much thought or effort into it,I never did figure it out.I thought there would be a plug in the controll arm to remove and then install zerk.What did I miss?
Old 04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
AlexZi
2nd Gear Member

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM
JamesW

Yep...VERY common. They didn't make right angle zerk fitting back then so that was the answer

Quick Reply: Why did the P.O. do this?