Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

68 power steering pitman arm

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 09:45 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default 68 power steering pitman arm

I just bought a power steering setup for my car but I dont think it comes with the pitman arm. I believe the manual pitman arm and the power steering pitman arm are different are they not? I'm sticking with the manual steering box will I still need to buy a power steering pitman arm?
Old 04-07-2009, 07:59 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Yes the manual and power pitman arms are different. I too have been looking for years for a power pitman arm for a 1969. Good luck finding one. I have had no luck at all. Let me know if you locate one b/c I would like to purchase one as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:17 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

whats the difference between the power steering pitman arm and the manual pitman arm? will they both attach to a manual steering box?

by the way cjponyparts hast he power steering pitman arm for $99. give them a call because its not listed on their website but it is in their catalog.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:51 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

There is only one gear box for both manual and power steering. The angle of the pitman arms are different.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
nassaubayman
3rd Gear Member

If they're available, Chockostang will have it. They specialize in factory original steering and brakes on classic Mustangs.

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/

I replaced my manual steering with power steering in my '67 coupe. His kit included a new steering box, and they were different. The power steering box had fewer turns lock-to-lock than the manual.

Also, if you have headers on your car, you're going to have issues. There's a bracket that allows you to lower the mounting point of the power steering piece on the driver's side. Chockostang carries that too, so does Mustangs Unlimited. Even with the unit lowered, I had issues clearing my Patriot headers. I ended up having to "customize" the bends in the hoses.

My convertible has power steering and Hooker headers. They seem to have more clearance than I remember the Patriot headers having.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:56 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

There are many different ratio gear boxes (different # of turns lock to lock) (common versions are 16:1 and 19:1 ratios), but they all will work with either a manual or power setup. With manual steering, more mechanical advantage in the gear box is helpful in reducing steering effort, but power steering does not need that help b/c of the power pump and ram. Regardless, they both should bolt up, so the number of turns from lock to lock is just driver preference.

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 04-07-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

anywayyyyy

so in order for my power steering setup to work ill need a power steering pitman arm? is this correct? no way around it?
Old 04-07-2009, 12:45 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Yes.

Another place to check would be Glazier's.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
stanger53
1st Gear Member

Default Pitman Arm

On the 67-70 Mustang, the manual steering pitman arm has a swivel stud where it mounts to a tapered hole on the end of the centerlink. On the power steering cars, the pitman arm has a tapered hole on the end for the ball stud coming out of the control valve.
http://www.stangerssite.com/pitmanarms.html

If you need a power steering pitman arm for a 67/70 Mustang, let me know. I have bunches of them.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by stanger53
On the 67-70 Mustang, the manual steering pitman arm has a swivel stud where it mounts to a tapered hole on the end of the centerlink. On the power steering cars, the pitman arm has a tapered hole on the end for the ball stud coming out of the control valve.
http://www.stangerssite.com/pitmanarms.html

If you need a power steering pitman arm for a 67/70 Mustang, let me know. I have bunches of them.
yesss i need one because everyone is charging sooo much for them. I sent you a PM

Quick Reply: 68 power steering pitman arm