Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

is this a rip off or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:22 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

That does sound overpriced. I wouldn't pay more then 1k if I had to have someone do it.

My Dad and I did the interior on the 65 and we did all of it on a weekend. Its not that bad of a job.

If you do do it yourself choose a warm day. It makes the material much easier to work with.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pootypeters
Just because they are a "professional shop" doesn't mean that they do pro work. They look at it as a paycheck and nothing more. They won't spend the meticulous time and detail to get things just right that you would if you did it yourself. I've seen many "professional" jobs that sucked. I'm 100% with EZFEED, it's not really that hard, the headliner is the worst part, but the seats, carpet and dash are pretty self expanatory.
Mmmm, not everyone is like that.
Depends on their labor rate really. Ours is 75/hr. Our headliners about 500 (maybe they would clean and POR-15 the underside of the roof), and the carpet is about 400. So some it really depends. Maybe they would blast and paint the seat frames before slapping on the coverings. If you saw a professional's job and it sucked, it wasn't a professional. Just because you pay them, doesn't make them a pro.

Just depends on what you get for your money.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 PM
DarkNight69

I just wanted to add to this thread and this is coming from someone who is about to do everything the shop was going to do for you, this thread is almost an inspiration! haha I myself had doubts before about doing everything myself but now am more than confident I can do it. I say royalcrown grab a case of beer and the supplies you need and have a fun weekend gettin to know your car a little better! Good luck!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:58 PM
Waffles
5th Gear Member

Goddamn there has to be a member here willing to go to MO and do it for $1000. ****, ok, if you'll pay $1000 I'll fly down, stay in a hotel, and do it all for you.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:22 AM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Waffles
Goddamn there has to be a member here willing to go to MO and do it for $1000. ****, ok, if you'll pay $1000 I'll fly down, stay in a hotel, and do it all for you.
i actually sort of like this idea. simply because i do want to be able to do it myself, but also would like the assistance of someone with experience doing it. have any pics of interiors that you've done yourself?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:43 AM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
Mmmm, not everyone is like that..
You're right, I was probably too general with that statement. I just always seem to have something to gripe about when someone works on my car.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:26 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Heck I'd help you if I were closer.

It'd be nice to have a map of all members on here so that those that need help can contact their fellow members to come to their assistance if need be. We do this on another site I'm on with our military vehicles. I've helped out some guys, swapped parts, borrowed tow bars, etc with some of the local guys. I'm sure it would be nice to do this here too, just an idea
Old 04-08-2009, 05:27 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
for the price they want to charge you can do it yourself screw up and learn then do it again and still be better off :P
very true. for that price you can mess it up 5 times and still be cheaper :-]
the only thing where you'll need help from someone who did it before is removing the glass
Old 04-08-2009, 05:43 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

They are getting you deep and dry.I had my crew cab truck both bench's recovered for 500 and they made the covers in the color and style i wanted.Recovering a mustang seat is easy take it out take the trim off pull the hog rings slide the cover off look at the foam and springs if they are ok slap the new cover on and hog ring it.The headliner is a pain tho front and back glass have to come out to do it right.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:21 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pootypeters
You're right, I was probably too general with that statement. I just always seem to have something to gripe about when someone works on my car.
Believe me, we know. We get customers like that all the time. Makes it very hard for them to trust us, and we didn't do the previous work. But they are gun shy.

Quick Reply: is this a rip off or what?