Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

is this a rip off or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 12:14 AM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Default is this a rip off or what?

i just got an estimate from a local shop on LABOR ONLY to replace my interior (i planned on buying the interior kit myself). They want 2500 including tax to do the headliner, carpet, seats and paint.

Headliner labor was around 900
Carpet labor was around 500
Seats labor was around 600
Paint labor was around 500

Is this a joke or what? I was thinking I could get all of this done for 1000 or less!
Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Rip-off, do it yourself and save a bunch.

I am amazed that you found a shop that would even do it really, the seat upholstery is a snap, the carpets are just laid in and your kickpanels, sills, quarter trim is unscrewed then screwed back down over it. Headliner is a bit of a job but can possibly take you a couple hours if its your first time. Your supposed pull the front and rear glass out to fold the upholstery over the lip but if you take a putty knife you can tuck it in fairly well.

Last edited by EZFEED; 04-07-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

damn did they offer KY with the job
Old 04-07-2009, 12:24 AM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EZFEED
Rip-off, do it yourself and save a bunch.
I've considered doing it myself but i dont trust myself with removing the front and rear glass for the headliner, painting the doors and dash without removing them (scared as $h!it to get any paint where it shouldn't be) and cutting the holes in the carpet for the shifter, console screws, AC, and seats. I have "some" cash to spare and I'd rather spend a grand or less for a pro to do it but no way is it worth 2.5k. I've heard success stories on here with people doing it themselves which is why there's no way I'd pay that much when it's obviously possible for an amateur to do it.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:25 AM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
damn did they offer KY with the job
LOL...
Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

for the price they want to charge you can do it yourself screw up and learn then do it again and still be better off :P
Old 04-07-2009, 12:39 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by royalcrown
I've considered doing it myself but i dont trust myself with removing the front and rear glass for the headliner, painting the doors and dash without removing them (scared as $h!it to get any paint where it shouldn't be) and cutting the holes in the carpet for the shifter, console screws, AC, and seats. I have "some" cash to spare and I'd rather spend a grand or less for a pro to do it but no way is it worth 2.5k. I've heard success stories on here with people doing it themselves which is why there's no way I'd pay that much when it's obviously possible for an amateur to do it.
Why? Its not as complicated as you think.

The headliners almost are a breeze and if you buy a good quality repro from somewhere like NPD it will fit and last. As far as the glass you could have a glass shop take them out for you and reinstall. Dont pass up that opportunity to rustproof the seam lip with POR-15 or similar, you'll probably find some cancer if its never been removed. If you dont want to remove them then just use a flat screwdriver/putty knife or better save a plastic shopping card from WalMart or old credit card, those are the best for this.

Some good masking tape and paper is all you need, just do one door at a time. Mask around the door where you dont want paint then get yourself a sheet of plastic or a drop cloth and seal off the door opening. Your good to go with the paint now.

Carpets are drop in and $500 is a pure raping. Take your seats out and just use a sharp pick and pick the holes if you desire. I just screw the parts back on and the screws make their own way through the material. You just punch through it, you dont cut holes for anything except the shifter and even that its a small square you can do with a exacto knife.

This is not rocket science....just simple bolt in stuff. Trust me man, dont pay someone to do this.........it would be just wrong
Old 04-07-2009, 12:52 AM
royalcrown
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by EZFEED
Why? Its not as complicated as you think.

The headliners almost are a breeze and if you buy a good quality repro from somewhere like NPD it will fit and last. As far as the glass you could have a glass shop take them out for you and reinstall. Dont pass up that opportunity to rustproof the seam lip with POR-15 or similar, you'll probably find some cancer if its never been removed. If you dont want to remove them then just use a flat screwdriver/putty knife or better save a plastic shopping card from WalMart or old credit card, those are the best for this.

Some good masking tape and paper is all you need, just do one door at a time. Mask around the door where you dont want paint then get yourself a sheet of plastic or a drop cloth and seal off the door opening. Your good to go with the paint now.

Carpets are drop in and $500 is a pure raping. Take your seats out and just use a sharp pick and pick the holes if you desire. I just screw the parts back on and the screws make their own way through the material. You just punch through it, you dont cut holes for anything except the shifter and even that its a small square you can do with a exacto knife.

This is not rocket science....just simple bolt in stuff. Trust me man, dont pay someone to do this.........it would be just wrong
Actually inspired me a bit :-)
Old 04-07-2009, 01:07 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Good, I hope so! There is no better feeling of accomplishment than doing your own work on your ride. Especially something like this....this is a NO PROFESSIONAL SKILL required job. If you can change your oil, belts, and plugs you can do this. This is fru-fru stuff.

Besides, its your machine, when you let someone else do it its not really "yours".
Old 04-07-2009, 01:20 AM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by royalcrown
I have "some" cash to spare and I'd rather spend a grand or less for a pro to do it.....
Just because they are a "professional shop" doesn't mean that they do pro work. They look at it as a paycheck and nothing more. They won't spend the meticulous time and detail to get things just right that you would if you did it yourself. I've seen many "professional" jobs that sucked. I'm 100% with EZFEED, it's not really that hard, the headliner is the worst part, but the seats, carpet and dash are pretty self expanatory.

Quick Reply: is this a rip off or what?