Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Battery boiling on my 65 6 cyl

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Question Battery boiling on my 65 6 cyl

Hi Everyone,

A few times driving I smelled something really wierd but wasn't the exhaust. Todat it did it again and I popped the hood and heard my battery boiling. The smell is the sulfuric acid!! Boy does that stink!

What can cause this? My friend and I put a voltage meter on the batter while running and not. Both times it registered 12V.

The battery is an Everstart showing 540 cranking amps / 450 cold cranking amps. Can the battery be too small? But what causes it to bubble after its already been cranked?

Thanks!!

Warren
Old 04-09-2009, 12:39 PM
snorulz
2nd Gear Member

that usually means the car is over charging the battery. What is weird is it registers 12 volts though, charging will be around 14 volts. My guess is you have a bad voltage regulator.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:54 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Sounds like it. If the voltage regulator is supplying a/c instead of d/c, it'll screw with the voltmeter readings and kill the battery in short order.

A bad battery can boil under normal charging conditions, but usually that means there's a dead cell. This doesn't sound like what's happening here.

First thing I'd do is take the battery and alternator in to get checked. If both are good, replace the regulator.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:13 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

same opinion here. bubbling battery is usually caused by overcharging. i'm the same stumped that you only have 12V running ?!
anyway there's something odd in nyour electrical system has you should have ~13.5-14.5V running (not 12V). At the same time a bubbling battery might boil->explode. very messy and can be deadly serious when you're standing next to that.
I'd get that checked ot by a professional (someone who actually knows what he's doing) as that might be well dangerous
Old 04-09-2009, 02:20 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips. I just went outside and the battery is dead now. I haven't smelled that until today and now its dead. I had the smell before but I had to get a new battery. But I don't know if I smelled it before or after the battery went out.

I thought the voltage regulators was built into the alternators? Is that on newer cars?

Thanks!
Old 04-09-2009, 02:35 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

I just looked and I don't see my voltage regulator hooked up. thats why I was asking about the alternator if its built in. Is that the regulator in the first pic? I know the last guy put a brand new wiring harness in and he said its the latest version.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:55 PM
st66ng
1st Gear Member

I just replaced my regulator to solve my charging issues. It is located on the drivers side at the front of the car beside the radiator. Here is a pic of it, http://image.mustangmonthly.com/f/89..._regulator.jpg

You are right, newer alternators have the regulator built in, your mustang has an external one.

Last edited by st66ng; 04-09-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:00 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

Thanks. I just looked and here is mine I assume. I drove the car much farther today than I normally do so over the time it must have built up and overcharged the battery too much.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
WarrenW
2nd Gear Member

I ordered a new regulator Friday and supposed to be here Monday. Can I pretty much eliminate that it can be the alternator? I mean, doesn't the voltage regulator control the voltage going back to the battery when its being charged?

I just want to make sure when I replace the regulator that it was the problem. My battery shows still around 12V when it was running but I did not rev the engin any. It was at a high idle though.

Thanks,

Warren
Old 04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
ThanksDad
3rd Gear Member

It may be to late but if possible I would recommend an electronic regulator. They have no moving parts like the old ones. Mine has worked great for well over a year now and it solved my lights flickering problem.

Quick Reply: Battery boiling on my 65 6 cyl