Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

alternate engine block colors

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 02:06 AM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

Default alternate engine block colors

does everyone paint there engine block/heads ford blue??

if not i would love to see some pics of alternate colors.

a discussion started tonight that we should not go the standard color since the car is basically a restomod.

some options were charcoal or black block with grey heads and of course chrome valve covers.

im just not sure about painting the block a diiferent color
Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 AM
FasterCat
1st Gear Member

Our '67 Cougar will either be close to the "stock" brown color or the "stock" green color.

Since the engine compartment was black from the factory (our car will bill be far from stock),
after I "restomodded" my engine compartment, and to be different, I painted the engine block black (looks great with the aluminum heads).

If your car is charcoal (as in you picture), and your engin compartment is black, I think it'd be pretty cool to have the block match (or be close to) the exterior color.

.... or maybe like ... Eastwood "Detail Gray" ?
Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 AM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

Im doing body color myself, but I do prefer the rusty water look lol
Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Green69
1st Gear Member

a couple summers ago I painted mine all black to let the aluminum bits stand out. Wish I had the heads, of course. There are a few spots of red.. the air filter, shocks, fuel filter (not in photo), MSD box and coil. Its a work in progress, but I'm hoping for a clean look.

http://markbogulavsky.smugmug.com/ph...87_8tpyq-L.jpg

What color is your engine bay? A charcoal block would be a nice match for your car's body color.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:18 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I painted my last Mustang block silver. With aluminum heads and water pump and chrome bits, it looked great in a black engine bay.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Actually, '65 289 blocks were black with gold vc's and air cleaner

I'm a fan of black or dark grey blocks in restomods. I'm running Old Ford Blue (the darker blue) for nostalgic reasons.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:32 AM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Green69
a couple summers ago I painted mine all black to let the aluminum bits stand out. Wish I had the heads, of course. There are a few spots of red.. the air filter, shocks, fuel filter (not in photo), MSD box and coil. Its a work in progress, but I'm hoping for a clean look.

http://markbogulavsky.smugmug.com/ph...87_8tpyq-L.jpg

What color is your engine bay? A charcoal block would be a nice match for your car's body color.

work in progress??? that thing is sweet.

guess ill be talked into doing custom color.
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Green69
1st Gear Member

Thanks,
I still have some painting to do on the top of the firewall. The tall valvecover is touching the tranny dipstick tube and I can't bend the pipe with my bare hands. I'm a little worried to force it and crack the tranny where the steel pipe goes in. Anyone have experience with this?

I need to clean up the dizzy, hide more wires, etc. The fender paint looks cruddy where it is bolted on to the body, so I'm trying to decide if I should resquirt the fender there or live with it. And I want to paint a few parts raw metal color, like the little tower caps where the shocks bolt on. The air cleaner is my favorite part and it kinda goes with the fabbed VCs.

Whatever color you go with, I think the best thing about a small block is how easy it is to make it look clean underhood because of the extra space. I'd worry more about hiding all the hoses and wires and let the pretty bits stand out.
Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

black block (flat), and everything else it's natural color.

Last edited by Deviousfred; 04-13-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Updated. Forgot to add the picture yesterday.

Quick Reply: alternate engine block colors