Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

getting hot in idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

If you suspect vapor lock, besides fixing the overheating issues (replace those underdrive pulleys), look into a phenolic spacer or gasket. That material helps insulate the carb from the intake. The intake will get hot from the engine, but the spacer/gasket will help keep the carb a little cooler and hopefully prevent your vapor lock.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:57 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

that's the route i'm taking:
new fan, different WP pulley (i'll try the old one first which would give me 1:1) and spacer for carb as well as difgferent spacer for fan to move it a bit further toward engine (half in/out of shroud).

All that has to help something ...
Old 04-23-2009, 05:55 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

wooooohooooo !!! nearly there !
if there's a 100% for idling and temperature I'm now at 90 :-)
the old water pump pulley from the 289 fitted like a glove. now I have 1:1 ratio on the pulleys. I didn't change position of fan yet. But I stole a thick maybe half inch rubber gasket from my buddys pickup. And it's way different now
With aircleaner off and hood open it runs forever without getting hotter. with the aicleaner on (aircleaner is good) and hood closed it sometimes stumbles a bit, but not as bad as before.
If I get myself a proper fan in the right position I bet I'm golden :-)

Since it was idlign so nicely I changed to ported vacuum as I'm still lacking power.
Not that it's better but I have more experience with that. set to 8 deg initial, 34 total (as before) and woooooooot is that thing quick :-) i had to take it easy on the throttle and had to release early as it was wet, but cannot wait to see what it's like dry.

looks like I'm getting somewhere now !

Kalli
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Raising the carb, in addition to helping with vapor lock, also can help with atomization and air/fuel mixture velocity. That is why high rise intakes and carb spacers are so popular on the track. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

The fan IS backwards.
I've known this since five minutes after I posted that it ISN'T backwards. (reading glasses ftw.)

Unfortunately my computer schit the bed right about the same time I took a better look so I couldn't admit my error.

I've been down until today and I dragged this thread up because although I know you guys didn't miss me and I can live with that, I don't want you thinking I'm stupid. The fan IS/WAS backwards. I can sleep now.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:12 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Oxnard Montalvo
The fan IS backwards.
I've known this since five minutes after I posted that it ISN'T backwards. (reading glasses ftw.)

Unfortunately my computer schit the bed right about the same time I took a better look so I couldn't admit my error.

I've been down until today and I dragged this thread up because although I know you guys didn't miss me and I can live with that, I don't want you thinking I'm stupid. The fan IS/WAS backwards. I can sleep now.
LOL,,, but we DO miss you...

Anyone who gets put on "thread watch probation" from the OT Moderators is a person to be missed, and whos "Mustang sins" must be forgiven..
Old 05-20-2009, 06:06 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

heheheee ... .i received a 7 blade flex fan 2 days ago. no fricking way that will go on backwards :-)
Old 05-21-2009, 01:51 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

now we're talking. fits like a glove. and whenever the car falls apart I can sell it as hairdryer.
Even better with the blades being far longer it fits Tads half in/out theory. So far goo :-)

you might see as well where i lost my water ;-)