Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Powder coating a my carb

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:34 PM
gunnerdog
1st Gear Member

Default Powder coating a my carb

Picked up a used Holley 750 cfm carb. I am going to rebuild it? Before I do that I was going to have it powder coated. Does anybody have any experience with this? Looking for prices, pics, and results.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

are you sure that's a good idea? there's allot of small passages and tight clearances, and if any stray powder coating gets in there, your SOL.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:10 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

It's going to depend on how experienced the powder coater is. As groho said it's easy to mess it up due to all the small passages. That said, if everything gets taped and plugged off properly it should be fine. Edelbrock products with the Endurashine finish are powder coated with a clear finish for example.

Note that not all powder is equal! If petroleum, brake fluid, oils, solvents etc get on many of the cheaper powders they will 'yellow' the clear coat and discolor other colors. Again, it'll come down to the person doing the job, their experience and attention to detail. Call around and drop in to see some example work and ask if they have done a carb before.

I've had a few things done by a couple shops and you can see the difference in quality between shops. I've been talking to a shop about dropping our 351w block off next week to get powdered either Translucent Grape or Starlight Purple, whichever the wife likes better. Shop the images are linked to did our Currie rear last week and I was very happy.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:47 AM
gunnerdog
1st Gear Member

I actually was looking at sending it to Holley to have it done. I have faith they know what they are doing. I am curious if it is a good bang for buck and looking for example pics.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:43 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Holley will powder coast a carb??? I would think powder coating would be a bad idea with all the air bleed ports, transfer slots, ports, etc. Lots to clog up and screw up your carb.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:02 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

Seems like you're pretty far into the cost of a brand new carb after adding
the cost of a pro powdercoat + the rebuild kit + your time. (My super shiney new Edelbrock was only about $400.) I found the hard way (many attempts) that rebuilding a carb correctly is not easy. I even had a local mechanic rebuild the old Autolite, It ran good for awhile, but started running rough + leaking after 6 months. I get the feeling the rebuild kits have old style gaskets that are not compatable with the new "clean" gasoline. The new Edel carbs have solved that problem, with compatable gaskets. Mine has ran great for 2 years now.
A pro carb rebuilder like Pony Carbs may include a shiney finish with the rebuild price, or only slightly extra.
Another idea that may work (if you must DIY): The hardware mega-stores have chrome paint, just spray it yourself, carefully masking. Not sure how long the paint would last.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 04-22-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:07 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'd stay away from that idea ...
Old 04-22-2009, 12:42 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

It's not a big deal, just call holley and ask for prices. Or any local powder coater can do it.
http://www.holley.com/CustomSpeedSho...AndPlating.asp
Old 04-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Nick.Simonds
4th Gear Member

YES. Plate it with 24k Gold.

That would be sweet.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

If your gonna send it back to Holley to have done I'd say do it.. depending on cost. Your pretty damned sure to get a good job done.

Quick Reply: Powder coating a my carb