Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hi-Po Manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:45 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Default Hi-Po Manifolds

Is anyone running Hi Po K code manifolds on a 302 with Edelbrock heads?

I was thinking of running Hi Po manifolds on my 65, because I don't want to deal with ill fitting headers any more.

If I do this I plan on using Percy's gaskets between the heads and manifolds. I was going to use them with my headers, but they don't fit right.

Is this a decent idea?

I don't want long tubes because of my clutch cable and I don't want to smash the collectors on speed bumps.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-21-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:20 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

uh oh. That pissed huh? I wonder what it costs to send off a pair of those manifolds to get extrude honed. Wonder if it would be worth it.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:26 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

OK, let's go ahead and toss that idea (extrude hone) out the window. From the looks of it, you would be spending about $700-$1000 for the pair.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Hi-po manifolds are better than standard 289 manifolds...but not much. They're not going to flow nearly enough to do your Edelbrock heads any justice.

At the very least you should be looking at a set of JBA shorty headers. Those would fix your clearance issues and still allow your heads to breathe decently. Ideally, you should pick up a set of FPA headers. They custom make them for your application, and they usually tuck up above the frame rails. They're expensive, but worth every penny.

Edit: Apparently you've gone the JBA route, lol. Missed the previous post. I'd try the motor mount upgrade someone mentioned, then start looking at FPA headers...

Last edited by Starfury; 04-22-2009 at 02:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'm not really pissed LOL.. but close to it.

It just seems like more people I know have bad results with header fitment or quality etc. Very few have good results. I have not been satisfied with a single pair of headers I have ever purchased. That is JBA, BBK, Hedman. I do think the JBA are made well, but they just don't quite fit.

I was thinking about the new reproduction Hi-Po manifolds the Mustangs Unlimited has. However if they really won't flow well enough for my engine then I guess thats out. That would be a cool idea to extrude hone the Hi Po manifolds. If it is that expensive its not worth it though.

I can't afford FPA headers. At least not at this point. Maybe later that could be done. They want about 800 dollars or more.

I am going to go talk to that custom exhaust shop this week and see if they can tweak these headers so they can be installed and have some clearance.

I really can't see going and getting new engine mounts. Since the ones I have are new and I wouldn't be able to send them back. That would be another 150 dollars out the window and then I would have to buy the expensive mounts. The Ron Morris mounts do not look very strong in my opinion. But that could just be the pictures.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-22-2009 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:45 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Man this sucks Tx65

Wish you were closer, I'd be happy to help you build some. I've always made mine out of stainless tubing and sheet. Maybe you could talk to a fab shop to see if they could bend out a set for you, making the collector is the hardest part and not really at that. I bet you'd get a better deal going that route and if you use stainless you could have that look of chrome that you wanted too.

How far are you from Lafayette, LA?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:13 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

EZFEED, Thanks for the offer. Man that could be really cool to have one off headers. I am located in central Texas, so its quite a ways away from you.

I'm sure I will be able to figure something out. I may end up trying the Hedmans that Fakesnakes suggested in the JBA Header thread, if that custom exhaust shop that makes headers can't do anything.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...ent-issue.html
Old 04-22-2009, 07:02 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

??? i have a 1972 302 with edelbrock heads in a 64 with long tube headers.
where is your problem (fitting) ?

Kalli
Old 04-22-2009, 07:20 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

hooker ceramic coated headers gets my vote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:30 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Kalli, Take a look at this thread about the JBA fitment problems.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...ent-issue.html

My77Stang, Which Hooker ceramic coated headers are you referring to? Modern Driveline says Hooker long tubes won't work with their clutch cable. Are you talking about shorty or midlength?

Quick Reply: Hi-Po Manifolds