Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new member in of help!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 AM
broxtondude

Originally Posted by briantlucas
i would stay with chevy
that makes me cry inside hearing this.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 AM
67fire
2nd Gear Member

Go with either 351 and have some fun!
I am crazy and have a '69 with a 427 FE.
Doing lot's of mods to get weight off of the front end!
Tubular A-arms, Aluminum frame, alum. heads, intake and perhaps...
even the block. Moving mounts and fire-wall, etc.

Eric
Old 04-28-2009, 02:35 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I would not consider keeping a Chevy motor in a Ford part of doing a resoration. You need to go back to a Ford motor. I would pick the Windsor Motor myself. Then I would hunt down the guy that put the Chevy motor in there and beat him with a stick.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 AM
kylehamilton79

I agree. Nothing turns me off more than a car with a different manufacturer's engine and drivetrain in it. If you are spending over $30K restoring a vehicle, what difference does it make with the Chevy's supposedly cheaper parts? In my opinion, that is like putting a Honda engine in a Ferrari, it just doesn't seem right.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

You did say it was a FORD mustang right? Ditch the chevy pos motor and put a ford motor back in. 351W, that's what I'd go with.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
briantlucas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I would not consider keeping a Chevy motor in a Ford part of doing a resoration. You need to go back to a Ford motor. I would pick the Windsor Motor myself. Then I would hunt down the guy that put the Chevy motor in there and beat him with a stick.

well then in that you need to put it the stock motor back into it since you are doing a resoration and i was just saying chevy since the motor mounts and trans mount shifting, charging system, drivline, headers and exhaust is already set up just trying to save you some money that is all well good luck on your project
Old 04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by briantlucas
well then in that you need to put it the stock motor back into it since you are doing a resoration and i was just saying chevy since the motor mounts and trans mount shifting, charging system, drivline, headers and exhaust is already set up just trying to save you some money that is all well good luck on your project
to save money? or cuz you have a 350 chevy in your mustang?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alwaysworkin.com
i purchased a 67 fastback with a 305 chevy motor and i'm starting the restoration, and i have to choose between a 429cj and a 351w. which is the best for this car and why??? thanks for the assistance.
Let me offer a third suggestion - a 331 based off of a 5.0 (I'm still not convinced about the still longer stroke 347's). As a restoration, the physically smaller engine will have a slightly more accurate "period-correct" look, if that matters at all.

With respect to the SBC subtopic -
I can actually understand the folks who would apparently let a bowtie engine live under the hood of their Mustang. Under a couple of narrowly defined circumstances, anyway. But it wouldn't ever be a 305. I had one of those, once - it's not an engine worth the amount of work that your PO put into the swap, especially when there's always been a (lighter) 302/5.0 available or a (same-weight) 350 SBC if the PO was utterly convinced that he had to do it up with a Chevy engine.

You pretty much have to have a dedicated old-time hotrodder's mindset a long way ahead of having any brand loyalty to understand this, and I'm afraid that maybe we're losing something as the influence of the older guys who didn't feel as tightly constrained by brand fades away.

Don't take this in any way as suggesting that every engine swap should include cross-marque possibilities, just that when they do occur to try to avoid having a knee-jerk negative reaction. The iron (or aluminum) in the engine couldn't care either way.

Edit - generally whereabouts in NJ are you, alwaysworkin?

Edit #2 - there's a guy putting together a kit that will allow owners of '78 - '87 GMC intermediates to drop in an 8.8" axle, which would represent a huge improvement ofer the 7.5" that lives underneath most of them (I have a one-owner, modified '79 Chevy Malibu). There's some negativity (but not as much) over on the GM side, and quite frankly I welcome the possibility of seeing another cross-marque swap of a major component work the other way.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-28-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
briantlucas
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by knuckless
to save money? or cuz you have a 350 chevy in your mustang?
It does not matter that I run chevy or not but it is pretty populer putting chevy into mustangs i was just stateing if he was going to build a bigger motor and everything eles since he already set up for chevy then save some money on useing theparts that are already there that is all he has to find everything to get if back to ford that us all no big deal abd what does it matter what i have in mine?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Anybody who wants to understand what I mean by a "traditional hotrodder" need only look at these pictures and read just a little of this rather lengthy build thread.

He's a little over his initial $5000 budget (honest!), since the scope has crept a couple of times. But he's still below $10k, and if I had the capability of doing that sort of work at that level of quality I damn sure wouldn't be sitting here in an office cubicle for a living.

There will probably be a few folks who won't appreciate some of his choices, but you can't afford to overlook this car for what it is as a hotrod. I'm going to let go of this about here. Can't add anything more than what Ron has posted in his build thread anyway.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-28-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: new member in of help!!!!!!!