Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rally pac questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

I bought an original off ebay-the tach was working but off and the clock didnt work. I sent it out to Gary-the tach man in SC....he was a little bit of a dick on the phone....was actually yelling at me...thought i was "nickel and dimeing him".I was going to tell him to send the tach back,but I was afraid I would never see it again...so I let him do the work.I ended up sending him the and chrome rings and buttons-he fixed the clock with the quartz movement and got the tach working correct...new wiring harness and cozmetic fix up...it ran me 400.00 plus what I paid on ebay-expensive but its original and beautiful.
I wouldn't pay 400 for the re pops. The tooling is bad and for a little more $ you can have an orignal..take the original route.
scott
Old 05-21-2009, 11:11 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sixtysix
I wouldn't pay 400 for the re pops. The tooling is bad and for a little more $ you can have an orignal..take the original route.
scott
Got to disagree with you on the latter. I can't speak about the Scott Drake repop as I've never seen one (wouldn't buy one anyway since the tach wires differently than stock), but the official Ford licensed repop Rally Pac is a superb reproduction IMO. I've had originals and now the repop and the repop was built just as well but looked better since every part of it is new and not weathered by sun or age.

As for whether it is worth the price, that is subjective. Since my car is far from stock (it is EFI after all), the originality of the piece is of less importance than its appearance.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:47 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

The repop tach wires differntly so that if the tach quits working the car will still run. If the tach burns up on an original the car will not run.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I think we have to difference between repop and licensed product.
the one I have is the one from sacramento mustang. it's the official licensed product. It's great quality and looks very very well, fits like a glove. the wiring is oririginal. They even ship the wiring harness for connecting to rally pac. The instructions that come with it are 45 years old (copy of original installation manual). that's why I had a bit of a hard time understanding it.
The tach is wired exactly like the original: inline. So yes. when my tach dies the ignition goes with it.
the one for 400$ is sold by sacramento mustang for 360$ on eBay (by themselves).

As said I have one. And it is a very nice piece of equipment. will have to take picture at lunch

Kalli
Old 05-22-2009, 11:09 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
The repop tach wires differntly so that if the tach quits working the car will still run. If the tach burns up on an original the car will not run.

There are two different repops that I am aware of and each wires differently. The Scott Drake repop uses a voltage triggered tach which is connected like almost all other tachs, by connecting the "green wire" to the negative terminal on the tach). The other repop is the Ford Licensed one that has a current triggered tach just like the original. It wires inline between the ignition switch and the positive side of the tach (it actually physically plugs in between the switch and the pink resistor wire which ultimately goes to the + terminal on the tach).

FWIW, my brother's original tach in his '66 RP stopped working yet the car still ran. Whether the car will still work after the tach gives up probably depends on the nature of the failure. Either way, I wouldn't consider the inline tach a deterrent from purchasing the RP.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Pavulon_

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has used original rally pac for 66 289. I am really interested in buying.
please PM me or info via email pavlik@hot.pl

regards
Pawel
Old 06-09-2009, 09:38 PM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

i saw an original perfect 8k tach the 65 version at ford nationals at carlisle...thought wow nice RP although i knew i didnt wanna pay for that as i wanted a 6k anyways and the 8ks are more valuable but out of curiously i asked the guy how much....1 thousand dollars i chuckled and walked away assuming he went home with the RP...i was annoyed that was the only good condition rally pac there and i could not find even new repos!...ill have 2 buy the 1 from saccrameno because from what i see the 1 from scott drake is less reliable/quality
Old 06-10-2009, 05:49 PM
Pavulon_

really rare part I guess :/

and for me repos don't count, it needs to be FoMoCo !
Old 06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

haha im abviously mr. stock either...the motor i have is a crate 289 because i cant find a block stamp....and i put the carb and valve covers and all that in...so i just like semi orginal look or at least what some1 might of made it look like back then
Old 06-11-2009, 07:03 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1sweet65stang
...ill have 2 buy the 1 from saccrameno because from what i see the 1 from scott drake is less reliable/quality
yes. do buy the one sacramento mustang is selling. I have that one and it is great quality. it's licensed, heavy, correct and works like a charm.
You get the wiring harness with it to put it into stock location and the original installation manual (copy) which is useless unless you have good phantasy ;-)

Kalli

Quick Reply: Rally pac questions