Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Weight

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 09:39 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I know on ebay most auctions say gears are for a 8.8, but does it matter? Could I put gears for an 8.8 into an 8in? I know nothing about rear ends.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:59 PM
Gun Jam

best and cheep way to save weight is to dump all the seats then cut out the perches that they use to sit on.

Then get rid of the hood and get a fiber glass one. or none at all if law permits

Get rid of the sway bars they can add an additional 30 pounds.

Dump the heater box and all the acc. like the blower and wiper motor.

Remove the carpet and take the sound deading crap out from under it. it is weighed down with rock and tar and adds and additional 15 pounds. if you dont re-install the carpet thats another 5 pounds

The end of the driveshaft on the trans side has been over engineered measure 3" past the end of the slip yoke near the U joint and cut the rest off.

remove all the un-necessary stuff like badges and radiator grill, headlight buckets and the frame they mount to and toss them out for an additional 10 pounds

Cut the exhaust off 3 feet back from the collector and leave the exhaust header bolts loose so you can quickly remove them and run the car with the heavy cast iron header off (only on the track of course) for an additonal 25 pounds

It really adds up quick you can shave probaly 1.5 sec off your 0-60 time if you do all these mods

-Gun
Old 05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BA Mustang
I know on ebay most auctions say gears are for a 8.8, but does it matter? Could I put gears for an 8.8 into an 8in? I know nothing about rear ends.
No, you need 8" gears.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, your effort is much better spent on the engine.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:13 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by Starfury
No, you need 8" gears.
Well that sucks... I'll just have to keep looking for them then.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't get them from ebay. Summit sells gears and diffs, and you can have your local rear end shop install them.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:23 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I found several sites online that sell them. Summit has the best price. Looking at 3.55s or 4.11s. Just have to get my rims first.

Last edited by 1slow67; 05-25-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:32 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
best and cheep way to save weight is to dump all the seats then cut out the perches that they use to sit on.

Then get rid of the hood and get a fiber glass one. or none at all if law permits

Get rid of the sway bars they can add an additional 30 pounds.

Dump the heater box and all the acc. like the blower and wiper motor.

Remove the carpet and take the sound deading crap out from under it. it is weighed down with rock and tar and adds and additional 15 pounds. if you dont re-install the carpet thats another 5 pounds

The end of the driveshaft on the trans side has been over engineered measure 3" past the end of the slip yoke near the U joint and cut the rest off.

remove all the un-necessary stuff like badges and radiator grill, headlight buckets and the frame they mount to and toss them out for an additional 10 pounds

Cut the exhaust off 3 feet back from the collector and leave the exhaust header bolts loose so you can quickly remove them and run the car with the heavy cast iron header off (only on the track of course) for an additonal 25 pounds

It really adds up quick you can shave probaly 1.5 sec off your 0-60 time if you do all these mods

-Gun
If I take off the sway bar it would change how the mustang acts in turns right?

I'll start really messing with the mustang once we get our new garage built.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
Gun Jam

Thats all terrible advice...I was just messing with you...Im scared now that you actually considered any of them and said to yourself "hey gun really has his crap together thats a great idea" instead of saying "haha have a look at this tosser" ....It was only a joke.

I think you need to sit back and re-evaluate the entire situation. You have an I6 you might be putting 80 to 100Hp to the wheels what are you trying to accomplish with this? Its not a race car...It is a sold classic mustang with a 12 second 0-60...you should be directing money and effort to the classic appeal and looks nothing else...dont try to make it something it isnt... Enjoy it for what it is

-Gun
Old 05-25-2009, 11:21 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

you can get rid of the sway bar for a drag car. it helps with weight transfer. other than that you want one.
gun, i wouldnt say all of that stuff would be a joke, like the exhaust stuff and the DS yeah, but most of it could be done and would help a little bit.
think of it as a build goes. you see a stuff that costs a couple bucks here, a couple bucks here, and you dont think too much of it. but when you go to checkout it really adds up, just like shaving weight, every little bit counts.

if this is what he wants to do, which doesnt seem the greatest, but if its what he wants why not help him with it.... lol as long as we provide him with the adequete info on what could happen or why it itsnt the smartest, its his car, he can do what he wants with it. not trying to argue with anyone...

Quick Reply: Weight