Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

radiator suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:13 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Default radiator suggestions

so my radiator is leaking baddddd and i was going to get a new one anyway for my engine im building. ive narrowed it down to two different places im going to buy from. just want some advice on what to get.

advance auto has a NOS replacement radiator part number 43-3340
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_611613880___
its the cheapest ive found so far

and ebay has a 2 row aluminum radiator
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...#ht_2809wt_806

what one would be better to go with? any other suggestions besides griffin or more expensive radiators because i dont want to spend more then $200
Old 06-02-2009, 12:23 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

I went with the Mustang Steve 2 row aluminum radiator. Made HUGE difference over the 4 row standard one I had.
Top quality and a GREAT price and value.
And it is $199.
http://www.mustangsteve.com/aluminumradiators.html

Good Luck
Ron
Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Advance looks like it'll fit fine, the second link won't. It's "for a '68", but it's not a direct replacement. Haven't tried M Steve's though.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:25 PM
hotrod351
2nd Gear Member

i ran a 3 row here in the arizona desert, with factory ac, and never had a problem. i went with a 4 row, after the 3 finally gave out, but it doesnt seem to have made any difference over the 3 row.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

4 row radiators often don't improve cooling over a good 3-row because that extra row tends to impede airflow, especially at lower speeds.

I'm looking at getting the Mustang Steve aluminum radiator for my '67 sometime soon. My 3-row brass/copper has a pinhole leak, and I'm looking for improved cooling.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:25 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

mustang steve is sold out of the radiator for my 68. ive looked at his before (about 2 months ago) and he was sold out back then. so thats why i narrowed it down to these two

the ebay one isnt a direct fit but the seller has dozens of different sizes and 1 of them was a direct fit.

ill just be going with the adavanced auto. if it doesnt do the trick i can upgrade when i have my new engine built
Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have a Fluidyne radiator that I got from Mustangs Unlimited. You can also get them from Summit and maybe Jegs. Mine is for a 5.0 swap though, so the water connections are on opposite sides. I believe they make one with water connections on the same side as well. Anyway, The Fluidyne radiator works great. I now Griffen is also good. I have heard alot of guys running the aluminum ebay radiators with good results. The aluminum radiators should cool better than a factory replacement.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 AM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I bought the 68 ebay one and widend my radiator support on my 65. I installed an electric fan and almost never comes on. My needle stays on C/ if im going over 30mph. Stop and go traffic my needle cant barely get 1/4 of the way to H/. If im driving my car really hard the fan will kick on but the needle never gets past half.
Attached Thumbnails radiator suggestions-img_1285.jpg  
Old 06-03-2009, 12:35 PM
jcthorne
1st Gear Member

Does anyone make a maximum cooling aluminum unit that 'looks' like the copper and brass stock style?
Old 06-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not really cost effective. The tanks are made differently, and aluminum is more brittle than brass, so they can't look exactly the same without costing a lot more.

Plus, you probably don't want to paint an aluminum radiator. Aluminum doesn't cool as well as copper, so it's good to have the tanks unpainted to be able to use them as heat transfer surfaces as well. Aluminum radiators are all about surface area, which is why they cool better than copper/brass radiators.

Quick Reply: radiator suggestions