Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to rig my distributor to get more spark?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 04:20 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Default How to rig my distributor to get more spark?

I have a 69 stang, had it when i used to live in the US but moved to Europe and brought it with me. Here in Europe we have min 95 octane. I believe this is the reason why I get horrible smells coming from my exhaust. Also get some white smoke when i rev it from idle.

Is there a way I can get a little more spark out of my distributor so that I can burn all the fuel? I tried to adjust the idles but cannot get the mixture to where i want it enough to get rid of the smells and white smoke.

By the way i have a 302 with an electronic distributor.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2009, 04:46 PM
1sweet65stang
2nd Gear Member

id just keep it tuned to perfection...new wires plugs and distributor cap if you havent already done that
Old 06-04-2009, 04:54 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

it is, cant get a more idle and tuned position, everything is new I rebuilt the engine last month. Just cant get rid of the smell and the little bit of white smoke. Im asking how to get more spark...
Old 06-04-2009, 04:58 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

Is "more spark" really the answer? Is your timing set properly for such high octane?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:03 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Are your plugs gapped correctly?
Old 06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

Well its running high octane and has been ever since i lived here. My engine is spot on when it comes to timing. Fires at no 1, dead on top dead center and if i turn the dizzy seems to lose its perfect idle. So i guess timing is not the issue. I think its an octane issue. I used to run 95 which is the min here, then i put 98 and smoking got worse. So thats my logic. how can i get more spark to burn the octane.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:04 PM
CyprusMustang
3rd Gear Member

plugs are gapped correct, i called ngk to make sure.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:31 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

i read somewhere that white exhaust smoke comes from coolant and/or water burn off in the combustion chamber due to a leaking or blown head gasket, cracked head etc.

seems like black smoke would be more of an "unburnt fuel" symptom.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Adam
4th Gear Member

White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

Black Smoke: Black smoke is caused by excess fuel that has entered the cylinder area and cannot be burned completely. Another term for excess fuel is "running rich." Poor fuel mileage is also a common complaint when black smoke comes out of the tailpipe. Black smoke out the tailpipe is the least cause for alarm. Excess fuel will usually effect engine performance, reduce fuel economy, and produce a fuel odor.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:38 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

advancing the timing will provide a more complete burn of the fuel mix

Quick Reply: How to rig my distributor to get more spark?