Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ordered 347 Shortblock - Suggestion on top?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 08:51 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Default Ordered 347 Shortblock - Suggestion on top?

I probably should have figured all this out already. But got impatient and ordered shortblock 347 for car that hopefully will make it out of paint one day. I was just going to slap a edelbrock rpm performer top end kit but have gotten mixed messages on the setup. Below are the specs on shortblock. Want to have something with good street manners but hits 400/400 range relaiable w/o breaking the bank. Plan on getting a beefed up c4 and have already upgraded 8" rearend to 3.44 trac-loc. Also, curious if I will need to upgrade driveshaft. Any suggestions on cam/heads/rocker combo would be appreciated. thanks

Shortblock
Scat 9000 Cast Steel 3.400 Crankshaft
Scat 4340 Forged I-Beam Connecting Rods with ARP 8740 Capscrews and Full Floating Pin End
Probe SRS 2618 Forged Aluminum Flat Top Pistons (10.5:1CR)
Clevite77 Rod Bearings
Clevite77 Camshaft Bearings
Perfect Circle Moly File Fit Rings (Gapped Specifically for your application)
Fel-Pro 1 Piece Rear Main Seal
ARP Main Studs with Oil Pump Pickup Provision
Deep Seated Freeze Plugs
Screw In Oil Galley Plugs
Camshaft Retainer Plate
Old 06-18-2009, 09:32 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

go for AFR185 heads
Old 06-18-2009, 09:42 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Put this on your stroker!
Attached Thumbnails Ordered 347 Shortblock - Suggestion on top?-383-cleveland.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Valley - may have a little trouble with hood clearance.

I was thinking AFR but was told they are better with EFI than carb setup
Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Dont bother with the top end package. Buy the Edelbrock RPM heads, RPM Intake & the 600cfm Edelbrock Thunder carb. The heads and intake are port matched.

Call Comp Cams, tell them what your building and tell them your interested in one of their Retro-Fit roller cams. Converting to a roller cam will give you more power, better fuel mileage (insert laugh here), less flat tappet/oil issues.. generally a huge performance upgrade. Order the 'kit' that includes the roller lifters & double roller timing chain. You'll also need the Retro-Fit kit which requires 2 tapped holes be drilled in the block upper valley. Do this yourself or have your engine builder or machine shop do it. Going with the roller cam will cost about 200 bucks more but WELL worth the added cash.

Last edited by Adrenolin; 06-19-2009 at 04:29 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I completely agree with Adrenolin, although check to see if the short block you're getting is already a roller block. If so, you don't need to bother with a retrofit kit. I'd still go with a custom grind, but a standard roller grind is different than a retrofit grind, so they're going to need to know what you've got.

If you're unsure what you're getting, post the block casting numbers when you get it.
Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
Valley - may have a little trouble with hood clearance.

I was thinking AFR but was told they are better with EFI than carb setup
Who needs a hood? Just less work to do to get it finished.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:12 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
Dont bother with the top end package. Buy the Edelbrock RPM heads, RPM Intake & the 600cfm Edelbrock Thunder carb. The heads and intake are port matched.

Call Comp Cams, tell them what your building and tell them your interested in one of their Retro-Fit roller cams. Converting to a roller cam will give you more power, better fuel mileage (insert laugh here), less flat tappet/oil issues.. generally a huge performance upgrade. Order the 'kit' that includes the roller lifters & double roller timing chain. You'll also need the Retro-Fit kit which requires 2 tapped holes be drilled in the block upper valley. Do this yourself or have your engine builder or machine shop do it. Going with the roller cam will cost about 200 bucks more but WELL worth the added cash.

I was surprised you recommended 6oocfm. I've got a fairly new edelbrock 600 but I did not think it would be enough. Most 347 crate build ups I see have at least a 650 with most having 750. You think 600 would okay? Would save me a few buck if I did not have to upgrade the carb.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:30 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

I agree with Adrenolin and Tad, but would use a Holley 0-4777 (650 double pumper). I have a Ford crate 347 in my Mustang and it is the carb Ford recommends for 450 HP.

Just pay attention to the head combustion chamber cc as your flat top pistons may require a larger cc to use pump gas.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:18 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

palerider.. My mistake as I meant to say the 650cfm Thunder series. If the car is going to be raced then yes the 800cfm would be the ideal way to go however for street/strip usage the 650 will be your best choice. I talked to the Edelbrock guys and a few other companies a number of times regarding this any the 650 for street use was the general comment.

I have the 650cfm for our 351w build (soon hopefully) which will be 400+ easy and I have no doubts about it's performance.

Quick Reply: Ordered 347 Shortblock - Suggestion on top?