Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

My supposed "rust free" car

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 05:27 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by rmodel65
theres no such thing as a rust free classic mustang :P
I second that, especially when it comes to floor pans.
It's the first thing that rusts out...

I have NEVER, EVER, seen an unrestored Mustang that didn't require some welding with the floors, in 30 years with messing around those cars.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by fakesnakes
So, the real question is how much did you pay for a rust free car?
$1600
Old 06-19-2009, 06:29 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

That's good! You're doing well.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

$1,600 is cheap enoujgh not to expect A LOT... That is good, chances are you could even part the car out and come close to coming out.

Now just decide if you want to do all that work and spend the dough...
Old 06-19-2009, 09:16 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD
$1,600 is cheap enoujgh not to expect A LOT... That is good, chances are you could even part the car out and come close to coming out.

Now just decide if you want to do all that work and spend the dough...
lol I'm definatly keeping it. I've wanted one for a while And the engine runs and drives, though I need to get the shift cable fixed or get a new one. the brakes are fair at best...

So... Spending the dough is the way it seems I'm going to go. So it seems my love hate relationship with my car gets deeper lol.

Sides, I know like 7 or 8 people that would kill me if i got rid of the thing... Good thing is it has a clear and up to date title. The floor all be it upsetting is fixable.

Tomarrow, I'll get the rest of the carpet up *Was a lazy day for me today* and when it's all out I'll look at it and take more pictures *Because Pictures are FUN*

From what I have seen SO far the tranny tunnel looks decent. but the floor supports look as another guy here said... like Toast but I'll look at them more closely later.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:46 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 68MustangCoupe
From what I have seen SO far the tranny tunnel looks decent. but the floor supports look as another guy here said... like Toast but I'll look at them more closely later.
When we replaced the floor pans was when I discovered the floor supports were bad also. What I found when I removed the supports was that the bottom of the front frame rail was 'soft' and half eaten through where the support butts against it. (that make sense?? 13 hours today in the garage and I'm a bit tired).. All we did was cut the bottom of the rail and replace the 6" to 8" bad section with 12gauge iirc plate.

My point here is to expect some additional things which are unseen until uncovered. lol as your finding out.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:08 AM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Adrenolin
When we replaced the floor pans was when I discovered the floor supports were bad also. What I found when I removed the supports was that the bottom of the front frame rail was 'soft' and half eaten through where the support butts against it. (that make sense?? 13 hours today in the garage and I'm a bit tired).. All we did was cut the bottom of the rail and replace the 6" to 8" bad section with 12gauge iirc plate.

My point here is to expect some additional things which are unseen until uncovered. lol as your finding out.
BOY am I finding out!... But I shouldn't be to surprised as it is a 41 year old car... I guess it just bums me out the guy was like YEA THIS IS THE ONLY RUST... and BAM the floor boards are rusted out. Though when a guy is selling a car, and can see when someone really wants it and doesn't check EVERYWHERE he should... it's easy to say such stuff.

BUUUT It's a learning experience maybe I'll learn how to weld! ... probably not... but NEVER KNOW! Now at least when I get done with it *How ever long that will be* I can say I truly know EVERYTHING about my Car...
Old 06-20-2009, 09:32 PM
flickjo68
1st Gear Member

Sorry to hear about all that. You seem to have the perfect attitude about it though. I know it sounds bad lol but all of this makes me feel way better about my car. I had the carpet out and found out that the floors looked like new and when I started cleaning up the underside of the car, I noticed that the floors were covered in what I believe to be the factory red primer. You only got about a quarter as much into it as I do though. Have fun with it and you'll be happier knowing it was done right for sure.
Old 06-20-2009, 11:46 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

SO! I finally got the seats, seat belts and Carpet up and out and swept out the dirt/rust as much as I could *Or tell I said, it's good enough*

Driver seat

Driver rear

Passenger seat

Passenger rear

The bright side... The tranny tunnel looks GOOD!

The floor supports I still have yet to fully examine but I will probably buy new ones anyway just to kill two birds with one stone!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:32 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Floor are not that bad. If you ever want to learn to weld - goo place to start - carpet covers it and beads don't have to be perfect.

Quick Reply: My supposed "rust free" car