Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

trying to start my car, cant find TDC

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gjz30075
Hope this doesn't mean you set the cam to 14* also?? Please tell us you set the new cam in with its mark pointing to the same mark on the crank gear. If so, then find TDC by any of the various methods previously mentioned. THEN, set the distributor rotor to #1 plug wire.

If gas is shooting out of the carb, your cam could be way out of whack. Did you buy a cam for the correct firing order for you motor?
the cam is in with both dots on the timing gears aligned. so no the cam is not set to 14*. the cam i bought awhile ago just never got to putting it in is a comp cam high energy 268H and no where did it say i need to change my firing order

im getting TDC its just that i wanted to double check that it was correct and i wasnt mistaken. just cant figure out why it wont fire and didnt know if something i was doing was wrong.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:36 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

i may have missed this but if you take your plug wire off are you getting any spark at all? try a few different wires and make sure all is good with coil and dist.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'm starting to get a feeling as well that you're not getting any spark as well.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Anth

Just been through similar measures on the 1973 hardtop.

We replaced the Distributor with a twin spark mallory one, using points too.
it took us ages to find the TDC compression stroke as we "forgot" to check that first

Anyway the car wouldnt fire until we turned the distributor and then had to fine tune it by advancing and retarding it there. Once this was done we then used a strobe to ensure everything was hunky dorey.

but then neither of us are qualified mechanics but we do have a working car.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:17 AM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
i'm starting to get a feeling as well that you're not getting any spark as well.
i had that problem before but i thought i fixied it. every now and then i get a backfire or pop from the exhaust so im getting some spark but i dont think im getting much, i think the plug are gummed. i pulled #1 spark plug and is seemed oily/gassy
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Anth

Originally Posted by knuckless
i had that problem before but i thought i fixied it. every now and then i get a backfire or pop from the exhaust so im getting some spark but i dont think im getting much, i think the plug are gummed. i pulled #1 spark plug and is seemed oily/gassy

Have you thought the dissy could be 180 degrees out?
Sounds like a timing issue, but that wont be helped unless the dissy is running right.

Try removing her and moving her through the 180 Degrees, either it'll start or you'll get more of the same.

We got ours running by playing about with her, tried numerous things, she was popping and back,firing coughing and spluttering all over until we finally nailed it with a combination of points gap, twiddling the dissy and finding TDC.

Also check your leads, are the connected to the Dissy cap in the correct places and order?
Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Anth
Have you thought the dissy could be 180 degrees out?
Sounds like a timing issue, but that wont be helped unless the dissy is running right.

Try removing her and moving her through the 180 Degrees, either it'll start or you'll get more of the same.

We got ours running by playing about with her, tried numerous things, she was popping and back,firing coughing and spluttering all over until we finally nailed it with a combination of points gap, twiddling the dissy and finding TDC.

Also check your leads, are the connected to the Dissy cap in the correct places and order?
yes thats what i thought my problem was orignally, 180 out. so i moved it around and nothing. im working on the plugs to check the gaps and see if they are sparking. i may just end up taking out my electronic ignition and swapping in a HEI
Old 06-24-2009, 09:31 PM
tempoffroad
2nd Gear Member

ground a screwdriver to some metal on the motor turn it over and you should get a spark it should be noticable. also you can be way out of timing and it should still crank it may run like crap and backfire some but it will run.