Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AOD header problem.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:19 PM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

Default AOD header problem.

I got the AOD in but the headers hit the pan on the tranny. Anyone have any suggestions for new headers that will clear the pan? Its a 66 coupe w a 289.
Thanks Cody
Old 06-20-2009, 09:01 PM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1965screamer
I got the AOD in but the headers hit the pan on the tranny. Anyone have any suggestions for new headers that will clear the pan? Its a 66 coupe w a 289.
Thanks Cody
dang it! what headers you running?
Old 06-20-2009, 10:17 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

I found that I had to go with shorty headers for my setup. allowed me to tuck it up a lil tighter for ground clearance as well.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
66FB06GT
1st Gear Member

I was going through the process of doing an AOD swap on my 66, and realized that my Hedman Elites were not going to work with the trans. I was really pissed, because I had been told by a guy that he did his swap with Hedman long tubes (he neglected to tell me that he cut the collectors off and re-welded them back on pointing out). That little nugget of info was kinda important. When I got under and started measuring the clearances I realized it wouldn't work. Luckily I bought an AOD used that I got to drive and help remove from the previous car. I was able to sell it and get my money back out of it.

In my research I found that shortys were probably the best bet for doing an AOD swap. I got varying responses from people that other combinations worked, but I also had other reputable people tell me that the same combination didn't work for them. I didn't want to go buy another set only to find that they didn't work either. Ultimately I decided to just wait and do a T5 swap down the road.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:38 PM
trashline
2nd Gear Member

I was on the fence of the AOD and 5 speed swap.... Im still kinda on it but leaning more towards the AOD. I LOVE sticks, but once married Im pretty sure the car will have to be an auto so the wife can drive the car.

I will NOT use shorties, thats just personal preference. I can cut and reweld the Tri Ys I have if I have to.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
1965screamer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by trashline
dang it! what headers you running?

Theyre the headers that came on the car when my dad bought it 15 years ago so we have no idea. My guess would be hedmans or doug thorleys. Fabricating these is an option and I dont think it would be too hard but I'd rather find a set of long tubes that would work if I could.

Whats wrong with shortys?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:10 PM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

You try JBA mid length?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:33 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trashline
I will NOT use shorties, thats just personal preference. I can cut and reweld the Tri Ys I have if I have to.
curious...why?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:27 AM
65Rocky
1st Gear Member

I just did the AOD and I used Hooker headers long tubs, fit no trouble, the driverside will just touch the trans pan and I used the lowering bracket for the power stearing arm work great but is hot as HEL%, Now it will not start after a long trip-Battery, starter??

I have put a 9in. with 3.89 gear and a True locker in, works but shifts to soon, if I was going to do this again I would of did the T5
Old 06-22-2009, 08:50 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If it won't start like that you probably need a high torque starter that will handle heat or get your headers ceramic coated.The best headers i know of are http://www.fordpowertrain.com/ there site is down or http://www.jbaheaders.com/ both are pricey but worth it for what you get.

Quick Reply: AOD header problem.