Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Which suspension for the 67 mustang , rrs, tcp , or Mustang ll

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 09:53 PM
grod297
1st Gear Member

Default Which suspension for the 67 mustang , rrs, tcp , or Mustang ll

I would greatly appreciate some comments as to which suspension to go with for the 67 fastback.
TCp coil overs, Mustang ll , or rrs -- front and rear.

One other thing what are some opinions on the Heidts independent rear suspension for the same car.

I really want to get this right the first time.. I am looking for a comfortable ride that corners well. This is not a track car but I can be aggressive in the street from time to time,

Any helpfull insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2009, 03:19 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Take a look at this Autoworks site. http://www.autoworksparts.com/suspension_upgrades.htm Matt at Autoworks really knows his stuff and he recommends the RRS set up. It is really a great deal for what you get.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:22 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I say tcp front the back would be tcp or rrs 3 link should be fine.Also look at http://www.globalwest.net/ they have nice coilovers.If money is not a problem http://www.griggsracing.com/ has killer parts with a price tag to match.I have been looking hard at http://www.maxgsystems.com/presenter...aspx?Id=104557 i have not drove a mustang with there kits but i have a camaro and it was fun.If you use a kit that keeps your factory spindles for cheap bigger brakes http://www.mustangsteve.com/cobrabrakes.html
Old 06-28-2009, 03:26 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

My buddy has the first global west coil over set up for a 65-6 and he is not happy with it at all. It reduced his turning radius to a point where he can't make U turns.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:49 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

He need to cut his steering stops.Only things i don't like about rrs coilovers is its a strut on spindle which handles different then a double a arm.And the brakes on them your stuck ordering and waiting for if you need rotors or pads.The cobra brakes are the best bang for your buck i found yet and you can get rotors and pads from any auto parts store today no waiting.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:36 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

I have read and heard from several people that the TCP setup is very nice and does not decrease your turning radius. I was looking at that till my mechanic showed me his mustang with the Griggs suspension. Andrew is right though, I'll be saving for awhile to put it on my car when I can get to the suspension upgrade.

I also hear good things about RRS but seems to have more positive comments on the TCP over the RRS.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:16 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If this is just an aggressive street car, why do you need to go with an aftermarket suspension? The OE design with the Shelby drop, stiffer springs, better shocks, bigger sway bar, monte carlo bar, and export brace will handle very well on the street (and on the track).
Old 06-28-2009, 01:06 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Staryfury makes a good point. The stock stuff will handle really well. If your set on spending money, TCP stuff is expensive as well as the griggs. But I only have experience with the TCP and is handles VERY well.
For handling I would stay away from Heidts and MII for handling. The Heidts rear isn't a 4-link, more like a four bar. Adjustablilty and design is lacking.

If you want a single lower control arm, I'd choose AJE long before the RRS stuff. More complete. Come with bump steer kit and a rack, with tons of options for brakes and spindles. And the AJE knocks about 100lbs of the nose.

But over any the griggs or TCP will be the top handlers.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Yeah, modified stock will work really well. I plan on going with TCP front and rear when I can afford it, but I also plan on racing frequently and sticking a larger blower engine in at some point. TCP is expensive, and rather unnecessary unless you plan on driving hard quite frequently at the track.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:04 PM
PedroBot

Originally Posted by Starfury
If this is just an aggressive street car, why do you need to go with an aftermarket suspension? The OE design with the Shelby drop, stiffer springs, better shocks, bigger sway bar, monte carlo bar, and export brace will handle very well on the street (and on the track).
I've been looking for a front suspension/steering combo to put in my '66 289. I'm all for saving $$ when I can too. With that said, what spring rate and shock set up would you go with?

Quick Reply: Which suspension for the 67 mustang , rrs, tcp , or Mustang ll