Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Another Pertronix/Coil Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:01 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Default Another Pertronix/Coil Question

Still no ignition. Ok, the coil sees ~11.6v when I touch the + terminal and ground the - on the manifold and other grounds. When I touch both the +/- studs of the coil, I get nothing, 0, nada.

Is this normal or does it mean the module is fried? The Pertronix II module has both a + & - wire coming out. I would think the coil (when wired up and the ignition turned on) would register some voltage, right?

This is p#$%ssing me off!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The coil doesn't get voltage until the motor starts turning over. The Ignitor pickup needs to be at the proper point on the reluctor to supply voltage to the coil, just like a set of points that would need to be closed to send voltage to the coil. In addition, the Ignitor II has an automatic ignition cutoff to keep from burning the coil up if the ignition switch is left on with the engine off.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:48 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
The coil doesn't get voltage until the motor starts turning over. The Ignitor pickup needs to be at the proper point on the reluctor to supply voltage to the coil, just like a set of points that would need to be closed to send voltage to the coil. In addition, the Ignitor II has an automatic ignition cutoff to keep from burning the coil up if the ignition switch is left on with the engine off.
The coil sees voltage as soon as the key is turned "on". It doesn't have to turn the starter, just has to be on.

Car ran great for many weeks and then just died. Carb coughs up unburned fuel. I seem to be getting spark at the plugs but weak, not enough to even power a timing light while turning.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
The Ignitor pickup needs to be at the proper point on the reluctor to supply voltage to the coil, just like a set of points that would need to be closed to send voltage to the coil.
So if the module was bad, this would cause the reluctor NOT to send the votage, right? I ask this because the unit was placed in the dizzy last Nov. and has never been moved. Looks brand new.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:46 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

to be more detailed in the reply.
11.6 at coil+ when you have ignition switch on is ok.
The coil- is sometimes grounded sometimes not. If you had points the open/close position would decide if you had ground at that time or not. similar with an ignitor.

Do you have a dwell-meter in your multimeter?
at the same time, I'd stick to the original post if I were you as I have a hard time remembering what you already tried and I'm not gonna look it up. People only now joining the conversiation will tell you the same things over and over again ...

Kalli
Old 07-07-2009, 08:28 AM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
Do you have a dwell-meter in your multimeter?
at the same time, I'd stick to the original post if I were you as I have a hard time remembering what you already tried and I'm not gonna look it up. People only now joining the conversiation will tell you the same things over and over again ...

Kalli

Good point. And yes, I have a dwell meter. What would I want to look at? I think you're saying when the dwell angle is 0, I should have ground at the coil - terminal, right?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

my theory is that if:
a) engine is grounded (check!) and
b) coil has around 12V plus at coil+ terminal (against engine) and
c) you read a dwell while starting, then the module should be good (must be measured during start or running)

i never tried that with a pertronix and I have lend my dwell meter to a friend. should have it back tomorrow.
So i hope anyone here on the forums can confirm this theory.

Kalli

on a sidenote make sure the module itself is grounded properly. the ground strap of the module itself in a pertronix is usually hooked up to the screw that holds the vacuum canister. mine was loose once causing all sorts of havoc

Last edited by kalli; 07-07-2009 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:59 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by runway1
The coil sees voltage as soon as the key is turned "on". It doesn't have to turn the starter, just has to be on.

Car ran great for many weeks and then just died. Carb coughs up unburned fuel. I seem to be getting spark at the plugs but weak, not enough to even power a timing light while turning.
Erm, no, that's right. Sorry, was thinking backwards. The Ignitor switches on the ground side, not the feed side, so the coil always gets voltage when the switch is on.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:04 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by runway1
So if the module was bad, this would cause the reluctor NOT to send the votage, right? I ask this because the unit was placed in the dizzy last Nov. and has never been moved. Looks brand new.
If the reluctor and pickup coil is bad or gapped too large, the module electronics would not trigger the ground side of the coil to create a spark. (the reluctor and PU coil's only job is to create a magnetic field during dist shaft rotation, From there, the module can short the neg side of the coil to ground which collapes the ignition coil's field- spark!) .
If you're concerned with the coil, take 12v directly to it from the battery and if the coil is good, the mother should put out a nice blue spark. (from what i'm reading, you have either a bad coil, bad module, bad wiring connections/grounds.)
Old 07-07-2009, 05:20 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jlg2002
If the reluctor and pickup coil is bad or gapped too large, the module electronics would not trigger the ground side of the coil to create a spark. (the reluctor and PU coil's only job is to create a magnetic field during dist shaft rotation, From there, the module can short the neg side of the coil to ground which collapes the ignition coil's field- spark!) .
If you're concerned with the coil, take 12v directly to it from the battery and if the coil is good, the mother should put out a nice blue spark. (from what i'm reading, you have either a bad coil, bad module, bad wiring connections/grounds.)
Ok, good stuff. Thanks, I'll follow this thought.

I also have a post regarding the metal dust I found under the cap. I'm beginning to think I just need a new dizzy. If the metal shavings contributed to some short of optical, magnetic or electrical short, replacing the module doesn't fix my problem.

Quick Reply: Another Pertronix/Coil Question