Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mallory 85 Series HEI Distributors for 289?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 AM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Default Mallory 85 Series HEI Distributors for 289?

Anybody try these dizzys on a 289?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MA...C/?image=large

Dumb question; HEI's have the coils mounted on the cap, right? Seperate coil not needed? Seems like a pretty attractive option.
Old 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM
rst08tierney
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by runway1
Anybody try these dizzys on a 289?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MA...C/?image=large

Dumb question; HEI's have the coils mounted on the cap, right? Seperate coil not needed? Seems like a pretty attractive option.
The down side to HEI is the size. I have seen the Mallory and it seems even more massive then usual.

Last edited by rst08tierney; 07-07-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 AM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Any other users of this distributor?
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

My oldest son runs a Mallory HEI on his 351 based engine in his 66 mustang, my younger son has a Mallory HEI on his Chevy truck and his 302 engine in his 64 Falcon.

While the Falcon is still being built and has not run, the other two work great. IMO these make for a very good ignition setup for a VERY atractive price.

I KNOW these HEI setups work great through 6,500 RPM, and they should be fine to 7,000.

Upside is that these setups are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain, easy to get parts for, and work great.

Downside is that they are big and they really look big on a 289/302. The size has not presented any "fit issues" for us, but I will admit they don't look as trick as some of the other aftermarket choices...

The ability to buy repair parts from any parts store in America (for cheap) was a huge consideration in our choice(s) of an HEI setup.

The Mallory cap/distributor is no bigger than a stock HEI, ALL parts will interchange between brands.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Texas 66

Just be aware that the steel gear on that distributor is used on the roller cam 302's. The 289 requires a cast gear. Ed
Old 07-09-2009, 08:26 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

The HEI is a pretty good system, though there are a couple of things to keep in mind. Nothing bad enough to overcome the goodness.

While the little electronic modules inside are commonly available (Pep Boys/Autozone/etc.), the ones you get across most parts counters will not have the same rpm capability as ones available from specialty sources such as those who provide the performance HEI distributors. The parts store modules will work, just that you might not be able to get past ~5700 rpm with them. Been there (EFI 350 SBC).

I'd keep an eye out for the occurrence of "red dust" inside the cap - it indicates arcing inside and is your signal to replace the cap & rotor. Let it go too long and you can end up with advance weights that don't move if you've got a mechanical & vacuum advance model. The engine will still start and run, so it's not something that's likely to suddenly leave you stranded. The Windsor's front-mounted distributor would make this periodic maintenance item lots easier than the SBC's rear placement.

Norm
Old 07-09-2009, 08:34 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

In my repair experience, HEI has always been my favorite ign. Easy to diagnose, works great. There are some modules out there that are crap, but sticking to the good ones they're great. Size is my only reserve for using one in my project but time will tell. Don't let the single wire it takes to make it work confuse you!
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if you have one of those 14" chrome aircl;eaner (hipo) style, then you might get into trouble with clearance
The only thing I'm unsure about with this distributor is that it says somethig about roller cam at the summit website.
I'm note sure if that's compatible to the different metal drive in yours. I only heard that once. So if someone can enlighten me/us there ?!
Old 07-09-2009, 09:39 AM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by KMatch
Don't let the single wire it takes to make it work confuse you!
Speaking of which, how do you connect the electric chock from my Edelbrock carb?
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
if you have one of those 14" chrome aircl;eaner (hipo) style, then you might get into trouble with clearance
The only thing I'm unsure about with this distributor is that it says somethig about roller cam at the summit website.
I'm note sure if that's compatible to the different metal drive in yours. I only heard that once. So if someone can enlighten me/us there ?!
Yes, I read that, too. Fellow at the tech line told me they're compatible with roller cams but that's not neccessary. He said they're a drop in for the stock 289/302 engine.

Again, my only reserve is how to connect my carb's electric choke. It's an Edelbrock Performer 600 barb.

Quick Reply: Mallory 85 Series HEI Distributors for 289?