Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

LM-1 quite easy to use :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Default LM-1 quite easy to use :-)

i just received my LM-1 today, together with the exhaust clamp and rpm module.
Haven't hooked up the rpm module yet, just calibrated the lambda, shoved it up the exhaust and watched that thing work.
My A/F at idle is very jumpy between 13.5 and 15.5, but as soon as I rev it standing to lets say 2200 (out of gear standing) and keep it there it's stable at 13.5.
I hooked it up to the laptop to download the recording and that worked easy as well.
I have no idea how 'normal' such a jumpy idle is, but without driving I don't think I'll know what's good and what not. So that's on the plan for tomorrow together with the rpm module hookup. I'm very eager to see how that's working out.
Attached Thumbnails LM-1 quite easy to use :-)-lm1_at_idle.jpg  
Old 07-07-2009, 04:38 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Jumpy at idle is pretty normal. Not quite enough air sometime passing by it to gt a accurate reading. Dynos are horrible. They read 18-1 and don't move sometimes until you rev it up.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:26 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

that makes perfect sense. thanks.i guess it's even more dramatic with the exhaust clamp.
Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
that makes perfect sense. thanks.i guess it's even more dramatic with the exhaust clamp.
Yes, especially if there is ANY leak at that clamp. That will throw it off also. It'll get fresh air, show lean.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:22 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

couldn't get the rpm converter to pikc up a proper signal (from coil-), and while trying the batrtery in my laptop ran out. So I disconnected the rpm, taped the sensor cable to my car and went for a drive. Unfortunately without rpm, so I could see what I was doing, but it already gives me great indication.

What I read out of those sessions so far (that's my reading, any comments please let me know. I'm new to this)
I cruise at around 13.2:1 (to rich)
part throttle accel averages at around 14.5 (to lean)
WOT is way to rich at 10.5 !!
And the accel pump shot is to lean (shoots up to 17+)

I've attached a picture of a run, where I cruised (in 3rd), went to part throttle accelleration and then floored it. That's the first peak followed by the rich drop, then changed to 4th and floored it for a second or so and let off the pedal then

Very interesting :-) gonna fool around with the carb today. I'll try and lean cruise, richen part throttle and lean out WOT, richen accel pump shot. I'm not sure if I should change so many things at the same time.. I'll see. Next log is hopefully with rpm curve
Attached Thumbnails LM-1 quite easy to use :-)-cruise-part-wot.jpg  
Old 07-09-2009, 08:44 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Pump shot showing lean like that can be normal. It could be rich and throwing the gauge off,too. If it doesn't bog, your in a good area, 17-1 would stumble/miss.Same with accel, if it's not stumbling, 14.5 is great. Not sure what you can do about the cruise with that carb. Never saw airbleeds in an E carb. But you have some work to do WOT for sure.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

hehehee :-) WOT is really bad alright. cruise doesn't stumble and you can actually adjust it in the edlebrockjs using the rods. They have a nice table in the manual on what to change for leaning, richening cruise as well. I'll give it a try. It actually bogs at accel. not badly but far away from smooth. as well it's a bit hesitant in cruise when i just ever so slightly dab the throttle which I think is related at the end

So i guess for the moment I'll change only the setting of accell pump and WOT and retest