Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 mustang drum to disc brake conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 PM
nma_re

Default 66 mustang drum to disc brake conversion

I'm about to convert my old braking system on my 1966 mustang with automatic transmission. I'm just looking for any heads up advice on doing this particular brake project.(shortcuts, certain tools that could make job easier, other disc brake systems that will match with slight modifications) I'm a newbie but I have alot of time and patience. Are there any websites that someone can direct me too that carry detailed pics and instructions. This car will be a daily driver so no need for high performance parts. Where can I buy a good quality conversion kit? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'd recommend the OE-style KH disc brake setup from CSRP. I bought this kit for my '67 and I'm very happy with it. Everything is bolt-on, you don't have to replace the spindles, and when you get parts in the future, you simply go to the parts store and ask for parts for your year car, not a 1970odd Granada. Customer service is great, the kit is very affordable (compared to SSBC and Wilwood), and quality is good as well. There's even a power boost option, although it's not absolutely needed, IMO. I run the manual setup on my daily driver and I'm perfectly happy with it.

If you've got larger (17"+) wheels and want the most stopping power possible, you may also consider Mustang Steve's late model Cobra disk brake swap.
Old 07-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

+1 on the CSRP kit. I myslef will be ordering this kit as soon as I gather the money.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:49 PM
degins
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
I'd recommend the OE-style KH disc brake setup from CSRP. I bought this kit for my '67 and I'm very happy with it. Everything is bolt-on, you don't have to replace the spindles, and when you get parts in the future, you simply go to the parts store and ask for parts for your year car, not a 1970odd Granada. Customer service is great, the kit is very affordable (compared to SSBC and Wilwood), and quality is good as well. There's even a power boost option, although it's not absolutely needed, IMO. I run the manual setup on my daily driver and I'm perfectly happy with it.

If you've got larger (17"+) wheels and want the most stopping power possible, you may also consider Mustang Steve's late model Cobra disk brake swap.
Thanks for the recommendations. The original poster can see the install guide for our kits at http://www.discbrakeswap.com/instructions. I'd recommend the SWAP.1 kit.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:39 PM
alann

Used an SSBC kit and installation went smoothly. Went from non-power drums to power front disks on a 65. Kit had all the parts and came with a good set of instructions.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:53 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

the biggest headache will be the master cylinder swap, changing from single bowl to dual bowl setup. You have to retain the stock pushrod and sometimes that can be a pain to release from the MC. Be sure to prime you MC and a buddy helps when bleeding the system. Also, depending on your wheels, you might run into a clearance problem between the caliper and the wheel. you only need about an 1/8" of space between the wheel and the caliper. I ended up grinding off caliper material to clear my style steels. Don't worry, there's plenty of material, just dont get agressive.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

The CSRP kit comes with an adjustable brake pushrod, or at least my kit did.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:46 PM
blue66mustang
2nd Gear Member

+1 on the CSRP KH kit. I put one on my car and they work great. Had it on in less than 2 days and didnt have any issues at all. As a mater of fact I think the only parts I had to get locally was a small peice of line and some brake fluid.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:20 PM
1965fastback
3rd Gear Member

The SSBC and CSRP KH kits are both great kits.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 PM
pass1over
1st Gear Member

SSBC kit on my '66, they can get pricey though. But since you said its a DD and no "high performance parts" needed, i'd go with the cheapest one you can find that fits your needs. I personally went with the biggest rotor/caliper I could fit behind my wheel.

Quick Reply: 66 mustang drum to disc brake conversion