Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

What's it worth?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 AM
ras214

Question What's it worth?

Quick question for you guys. I've run across a '65 fastback for sale that is straight out of the paint booth. From what i can tell, the owner is either in a tight spot or has lost interest and wants to get rid of it. Anyhow, looking for some best guesses as to what it's worth. Like i said, it's fresh out of the paint booth, so all the paint and body work has been done on it. I believe he has the full interior and drivetrain minus the engine.

So basically it looks like its a full car without an engine that needs to be assembled. What would you offer him?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Flash70
2nd Gear Member

show some photos. i want to see it
Old 07-09-2009, 09:31 AM
ras214

here ya go:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ras214/...7621173663772/
Old 07-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Dang man I can only say that is a nice looking car. With all the other parts except the engine thats a good package.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:16 PM
ras214

So what would you pay for it?
Old 07-09-2009, 03:56 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

There are lots of questions that require answers:

Are there rust repairs and how were they repaired?
What is the condition of the steel that is not painted (floors, trunk, drop offs, wheel wells?
Does the cowl leak?
Does it come with all the trim items not on the car (interior and stainless weatherstrip channels around the windows can cost thousands)?
Has the suspension been rebuilt or does it need to be?
What kind of brakes does it have?
Is it a 6 or 8 cylinder car (has five lugs, so probably a V8 car)?
Does it come with all the glass?

As pictured with nothing else and assuming the suspension and brakes require replacing, but the steel is all solid and repaired correctly, I would pay no more than $8k.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:11 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

any car with a fresh paint job is suspect. don't expect the seller to be upfront about repairs, or lack of repairs. Take a mirror and flashlight, as well as a small magnet to check for bondo. You can put tape on the end of the magnet to prevent scratching the new paint. If the seller is resistant to you inspecting the car, walk away.
Old 07-09-2009, 07:56 PM
ras214

Originally Posted by fakesnakes
There are lots of questions that require answers:

Are there rust repairs and how were they repaired?
What is the condition of the steel that is not painted (floors, trunk, drop offs, wheel wells?
Does the cowl leak?
Does it come with all the trim items not on the car (interior and stainless weatherstrip channels around the windows can cost thousands)?
Has the suspension been rebuilt or does it need to be?
What kind of brakes does it have?
Is it a 6 or 8 cylinder car (has five lugs, so probably a V8 car)?
Does it come with all the glass?

As pictured with nothing else and assuming the suspension and brakes require replacing, but the steel is all solid and repaired correctly, I would pay no more than $8k.

Rust was repaired with new sheet metal
Floors, trunk etc are all in good condition
I'll have to check the cowl
From what i can tell, all the trim is in the car, but i didnt go through it piece by piece.
Need to check the suspension
Drum brakes
Originally a 289, but i believe the rear end has been replaced with a 9"
Side glass is in the car, front and back glass are there in the shop awaiting headliner install

I was thinking in the neighborhood of 8k too...
Old 07-09-2009, 07:59 PM
ras214

Originally Posted by groho
any car with a fresh paint job is suspect. don't expect the seller to be upfront about repairs, or lack of repairs. Take a mirror and flashlight, as well as a small magnet to check for bondo. You can put tape on the end of the magnet to prevent scratching the new paint. If the seller is resistant to you inspecting the car, walk away.
Well, thats the good part. All the work on this car has been done side by side with my '66 coupe, so I've been present to witness all the repairs and I trust the paint and body. I've personally seen this car from arrival to sheet metal to primer to paint. The car is sitting in the shop and I'm there every weekend so I'm free to inspect it as i please.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

First get the vin and decode it http://www.mustangdecoder.com/ making sure its a fastback not a coupe with a roof swap.Fresh paint scares me you never know whats hidden under it.If its nice no rust or shotty repairs i would say 6 grand up depending how much stuff is missing.

Quick Reply: What's it worth?