Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

REPLACEMENT WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:11 AM
tom taras

Default REPLACEMENT WHEELS

I HAVE A 66 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE-QUESTION-ALL THE WHEELS INCLUDING THE SPARE ARE OUT OF ROUND-SLIGHT SHIMMY COMING THRU MY STEERING COLUMN BETWEEN 40 AND 55 MPH-HAS ANYONE REPLACED THEIR WHEELS WITH NEW REPLACEMENT WHEELS FROM CJ PONY PARTS OR ANY OTHER PARTS SUPPLIER AND HAS THE RIDE IMPROVED AND THE SHIMMY BEEN ELIMINATED-THANKS-TOM
Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 PM
knuckless
3rd Gear Member

please dont type in all caps, its way to hard to read what you wrote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:28 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

how do you know they are out of round? It could be something else and not just the wheels.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:17 AM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

A shimmy can be caused by a lot of things.. bad wheels, bad tires, alignment, improper engine/driveshaft balance, bent rear axles, etc, etc, etc.

Take the car to an alignment shop and get it properly aligned. At the same time they can balance and tell you if there is an issue with the wheels. If it persists take it into a driveline shop and have then check the driveshaft. If it persists still you move along to the next thing and have checked. Its a hard lesson dishing out good money for new wheels/tires and still have the shimmy.

Good luck and as stated above.. turn off the caps please.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 AM
tom taras

Default replacement wheeels

sorry about the caps-all the wheels were checked at bell tire on their equipment-as the wheels were rotating, i saw the out of round condtion as the wheels were turning-the front end had already been realingned-the manager informed me that since the front end had already been realined that the wheels were the problem-since they were the origninal wheels, they were out of round due to fatigue and being 43 yrs old.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would just get new wheels then if your sure thats what the problem is.

Since your replacing the wheels anyway, why not get a set of chrome 65-66 styled steel wheels. In my opinion these look fantastic with white letter tires.

http://www.justmustangs.com.au/image...-red-front.jpg

Last edited by tx65coupe; 07-20-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:28 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

if you can already see the out of round in the shop (and the shop tells you they are no good anymore), I'd go for the new wheel option as well. those magnum 500s as posted above look great on any 64-66 if they suit your taste
Old 07-20-2009, 09:19 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tom taras
sorry about the caps-all the wheels were checked at bell tire on their equipment-as the wheels were rotating, i saw the out of round condtion as the wheels were turning-the front end had already been realingned-the manager informed me that since the front end had already been realined that the wheels were the problem-since they were the origninal wheels, they were out of round due to fatigue and being 43 yrs old.
Bullschnit on age being a factor at all. Hitting blunt objects at high speeds would be a factor regardless of age. To "feel" an out of round wheel would take considerable damage. How far "out" were they? Were they setup on the machine properly? Someone aligned it without catching this? This smells fishy from my chair. Wheels are expensive to go buy a set only to find the tires were the problem. Get a second opinion with specs on the wheel runout.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:27 PM
robs
3rd Gear Member

Between 40 to 50 mph can be death wobble... Wheels.. and all bushings can be a factor....
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 AM
crunchyskippy
3rd Gear Member

Kmatch - don't forget the spare tire, too.

Quick Reply: REPLACEMENT WHEELS