Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Value of Car Decreased???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:47 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

Question Value of Car Decreased???

OK.....the VIN numbers on the dash plate, left front fender, and door data plate all match. However, data plate says car originally had a 3-speed manual tranny, but the tranny has been changed to a 3-speed auto. Everything else, except radio, seems to be original. Original paint was candy apple red but is now just plain red. How bad, if at all, did the tranny change and new paint color hurt the value of the car? I'm hoping that since the car is a well kept car and not restored that this won't matter but I'd like your opinions.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:10 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

keep the car, so you don't have to bother what it's worth ... ;-)
Old 07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

The price of what something is worth is COMPLETELY determined by what someone will pay for it. Do not worry too much about it.

The car is not original, so you cannot compete in concourse or original class car shows. You could enter modified classes though. Many classics are modified. I do not have an original tranny in my car, but I do have a really beefied up racing toploader. Does that make it worth less money...maybe to someone looking for a show car, but for a street guy or racer it is worth more now.

My point is price is all relative to who you are talking to. To me, an auto to manual or vice-versa conversion car is worth less because who knows how the fabrication was done or if original specs and parts were used. I would also not buy a car that had been switched to a Tremec or EFI. That is just me and that is not even close to the opinion of the majority of classic car owners or buyers.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:11 AM
unit91
3rd Gear Member

So do you think a Marti report would be of any use to me? I've already decoded the data plate and VIN, so all the Marti would tell me is how many cars were painted this color (which has been repainted to a red instead of the original candy apple red), etc., etc.??
Old 07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i don't think the marti report will get you new info apart from hgow many models are the same as yours. I have a 64 and I'd love to be able to get one ...
i'd def go for it
Old 07-22-2009, 10:05 AM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

i agree, the marti report would be nice but it wouldnt tell you much more then what youve already found.

now if you were able to get history/previous owners and find them and call and see if any of them changed it that would help. but not much else.

i also wish i could get a marti report for my '65 but ford doesnt have history back t the 65/66 stang
Old 07-22-2009, 10:37 AM
1971mach1
2nd Gear Member

It sounds like the $40 for the report is alot, so spend it on gas and a Snickers bar instead.
The report is only valuable if you're planning to put it back to origional for
showing or selling it. If you're keeping it, it really doesn't matter, it's only for your own curiousity.

Last edited by 1971mach1; 07-22-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:14 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

If it bothers you that much, stick a 3 speed back in it. I don't think the paint color will matter much.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:28 AM
HGC
4th Gear Member

The value of these old cars is pretty subjective. Like was said, they are worth what someone will pay. Some people value originality, but originality means less functionality in many case. Like my car, drum brakes, no air, no EFI. But it is what I want so it was worth the price I paid.
If you really want original, change out the tranny. There really is no such thing as an original if you think about it. They all have had repair parts put it. I'm sure not running on the original alternator, tires, battery, etc. I call my car an original but it has plenty of sheet metal patches, new paint, and in 1990 the transmission was repaired - replaced with a rebuilt. So my tranny did not come with this car, but it is the right one and it did come in someone's 65 Mustang.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Very good point HGC I guess it is assumed those are some of the parts that need to be replaced, even if the car is to be considered original.

If I were you, I'd put a manual transmission back in there anyways. The factory 3-speed manual in my 200 six makes it much more fun to drive.

Quick Reply: Value of Car Decreased???