Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Car Won't Start After Fuel Pump Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Mesomorphman

Default Car Won't Start After Fuel Pump Installation

I had another thread going, but this is a different problem, so I wanted to bypass the clutter of the last thread. If this isn't kosher let me know.

Anyway... Here goes...

My 1969 Mustang Coupe was running roughly. It would idle fine, but it would sputter and then quit after getting warm and I gave it some throttle. I figured that it may be the fuel pump giving out, so after doing a fuel output test (about 1 ounce with five seconds of cranking) I decided to replace it.

I did this, but with the stock-style pump. The pump on there was some sort of aftermarket deal that the previous owner had installed. I finished replacing and tested the fuel output again. Better. About 1.5 ounces per second while cranking.

However, the car will now not even start. It will turn over, but it will not fire up. Do you have any idea what the problem may be? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:20 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

You need fuel, fire and compression. Fuel out of the pump isn't the same as fuel to the cylinder. Which one of the 3 are you missing?

Open the throttle. Does it shoot fuel?

Does it have fire at the spark plugs? Are the plugs clean enough to transfer that fire?

If above is all good and at the proper time, what's the compression like? Your problem is likely fuel, but that's not all that's required.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Mesomorphman

It does shoot fuel into the carb. As far as the plug spark... I have to wait till this evening to check it because I guess it's a two-person job from what I've been told. One person to hold the wire and another to crank the engine.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Mesomorphman

So here's the update. I replaced the ignition coil (was old and cracked anyway) and fuel filter, but no dice. It still won't fire. A friend suggested it could be getting too MUCH fuel. Could that be stopping it from firing? I don't smell an overpowering smell of gas when I crank on it, so I didn't figure it was flooding. I'm stumped.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Gun Jam

2 things

1) 1.5 oz of fuel in 5 sec is inadequate to sustain engine combustion under load. What did you do with the fuel filter has it been replaced? Im wondering if a fuel line from the pump to the tank isnt clogged with rust or something. However this should be enough fuel for idle and to start the car.

2) remember the choke plate we talked about? I think you may have some issuse with that. I think perhaps you are trying to start the car with the choke fully closed and it is flooding the engine.
At this point you need to do whatever it takes to force that choke plate open. I suggest removeing the round autochoke mechnism and forcing the choke plate open from the acuator rod that connects to that bimetalic strip inside the round thing.
Once you have the choke plate fully open press and hold the gas pedal to wide open throttle (WOT) Crank the engine over while holding WOT this will pull fresh air into the engine and hopfully clear the flooding. It should start after a bit of cranking while holding WOT....but only if the choke is open.

Maybe some pics would help again....of the carb, and fuel pump....

-Gun
Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 PM
jasond393
1st Gear Member

Just because you are not getting fuel does not necessarily mean a bad fuel pump. I had a similar issue. It ended up being where the fuel line ran through the torque box on the left side of the car, the fuel line had rusted and there was a pin hole in the line causing the fuel pump to suck air instead of gasoline. What i did to find this was I put compressed air on the fuel line going to the pump from the tank and listened along the fuel line for an air leak. I am not saying this is your problem since you saw gas being shot into the intake when you pumped the throttle open, but you might keep it in mind.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:19 AM
Mesomorphman

That is a great suggestion, Gun. I'm gonna try that. BTW, just to clear it up, the new pump flows about 1.5 ounces per second, not every 5 seconds.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:37 AM
Gun Jam

that's pretty good flow then that should be adequate.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:21 PM
Mesomorphman

Good news. I tried cranking it this afternoon after testing the coil and a spark plug. This time, as suggested by Gun Jam here, I cranked it with WOT to inhibit the flow of fuel in case it was flooding. It fired and started. However, I had to take the ignition coil back to the store as one post had snapped and it was leaking some sort of fluid or lubricant. When I put the new coil on, it was back to the same old thing... it will turn over a few times, make a sound like it wants to start, and then click with a winding down sound. So frustrating. What am I missing?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:24 PM
Gun Jam

we still aren't sure if the carb is working on the inside. It could have a plugged low speed circuit or stuck inlet needed, a sunk float....

what did you do about the choke plate? Did you get it open? so it stays open all the time?

-Gun

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start After Fuel Pump Installation