Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH...Never easy, is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:08 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Angry AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH...Never easy, is it?

Well, I have finished the assembly of my 289 for my 67 mustang. Last night I was taping it up for paint and decided to remove the dipstick to paint off the engine. It would not budge. I tried to wiggle it, twist it etc. Would not budge. WD40 etc and tried again and SNAP! Wouldn't ya know it, the tube snapped right at the timing cover leaving the insert in the timing cover.

So now I am thinking I do not want to remove the timing cover etc and try to perform a little extractive surgery. With a myriad of tools I eventually got it out. However, I definitely got some metal down in the hole. What sucks is I just loaded the engine up with Brad Penn oil the other day (expensive). Also chewed up the hole in the TC a little in the process.

Obviously I have to drain the oil now. Do you think I can get by with draining the oil and then spraying some brake kleen down into the dipstick hole to rinse the pan, or do I have to remove the oil pan to make sure everythin is out. I also put a magnet on the bottom of the pan to attract any of the metal, but there is likely some aluminum in there from the TC, which is not magnetic.

Also, the Brad Penn oil is not available locally, I had to drive to get it and it is expensive. Do you think I would be ok filtering it out with say a coffee filter and reusing?

I really don't want to go through the trouble of removing the pan again, but I am thinking that's what's in store for me. It is amazing, just about done without a hitch and now this. Its never easy, is it?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:42 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Dang, I feel your pain. But, you already know the answer, you're going to need to drop the pan.

As for the oil, I can't see why filtering it and reusing it would be a problem.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:48 PM
MDCCCCLXVI-Ragtop

Filtering and reusing the oil really isn't fundamentally different than what the oil filter does every day. If it were me, I'd do it.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Man I'm so sorry that happened, getting everything assembled and running into a "little" big problem like that is such a PITA.

Hope it all works out for you!

By the way, do you know how it got stuck in there in the first place?
Old 07-30-2009, 05:29 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Drain the oil into a clean container....

It will be just as clean as it was going to be anyway...

Why not just drive the broken stub into the pan and leave it there?

I would consider doing this... does that make me BAD?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Joe1967
2nd Gear Member

Paint Strainer for the oil

Essentially the same as the coffee filter, but a coffee filter will more than likely become saturated with oil and begin to break down into the oil.

Slip it into a funnel, and drain it into a large clean bottle.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:03 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i wouldn't worry aboput re-using the oil. as soon as you poor it the particles will stay in botom of your canister. everything swimming should get into oil filter. I don't know if it's common practise, but I'd go down that route as well
Old 07-31-2009, 02:11 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for your inpuit guys. I don't know how it got stuck. Maybe somebody put some type of glue or sealer or something at one time. I tried to drive it down, figuring I could just drain the oil and get the peice out, but it would not budge. Had to essentially rip it out peice by peice and got some down the hole.

The bigger pain now is removing the pan, cleaning gaskets of the pan and block. Oh well, its always something.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Joe1967
Paint Strainer for the oil

Essentially the same as the coffee filter, but a coffee filter will more than likely become saturated with oil and begin to break down into the oil.

Slip it into a funnel, and drain it into a large clean bottle.
The paint strainer is great. I have used it for several similar things like this.

I know you don't want to, but if your sure trash got down there, you need to drop the pan and inspect. I sure would. Its much better than having a destroyed engine.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:47 AM
restomod@16
2nd Gear Member

sounds like he's going in for a prostate exam. be a man. drop the pan.

Quick Reply: AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH...Never easy, is it?