Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Carbon Cleaning Machine??

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 PM
runway1
1st Gear Member

Default Carbon Cleaning Machine??

I've heard of a carbon cleaning system (machine from the outside) that somehow cleans the vavle & seat deposites without removing the heads. Anybody heard or used this process? Is it worth the $100 I'm quoted? Just curious.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:25 PM
coda618
3rd Gear Member

I have not heard of this personally. I would just remove my heads and get them done at a local shop for about 250-300 for the pair. I would be worried that whatever this machine is would knock some particles, chunks etc. loose down into the cylinders and cause damage. Do you have a link to something describing this service further?
Old 07-30-2009, 01:29 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Yep, that carbon has to go somewhere .....
Old 07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

The clearances in the combustion chamber are such that I would not worry about a little carbon entering it. Most of those clean jobs use solvents to dilute the carbon and pass it through the engine like an enema. I use BG 44k and it works pretty good if they are not really trashed.
Old 07-30-2009, 04:44 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I for one an a fan of carbon,,, inside the combustion chamber or otherwise. Mainly because I think it is generally just too damn cold. This being the case, I am hoping that "global warming" is true and I am doing everything possible to "warm things up" by INCREASING the size of my "CARBON FOOTPRINT" to as large as freaking possible.

This being the case, it seems nearly shameful to leave that carbon trapped in your engine, we must set it FREE.....
Attached Thumbnails Carbon Cleaning Machine??-carbon_footprint.jpg  
Old 07-30-2009, 07:07 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Thinking of something like seafoam ?
Old 07-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Joe1967
2nd Gear Member

BG 44K FTMFW

Even Better... But not for carbs unfortunately...
The BG Inject-A-Flush Apparatus.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Well... you could mix some E85 in with your fuel, figure it so you have about 20%-30% ethanol in it for five or six tanks. That shouldn't be enough to mess with the tune and cause a severe lean condition and it will clean everything out while you drive. Mix 4 gallons of E85 in with a 16-20 gallon tank a few times and no more carbon build up, or at least quite a bit less. It wont hurt anything in the system and wont get chunks stuck in the rings like seafoam can.

Ethanol doesnt leave carbon buildup, it burns clean. Run straight and only on ethanol you will have an engine that looks brand new inside after 100,000 to 500,000 miles with longer intervals between oil changes. No way can you do that with gasoline, but ethanol isnt available at the pump everywhere yet.... in time it will be, and us old car guys would be stupid not to crank up the compression and use it.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:16 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Except that it would jack up the price of everything produce related. Beef, corn, wheat, etc.

There are machines that do exactly what you were told, runway. They hook up to the fuel lines and clean out injectors, intake, valves, etc. There are also cheaper, easier systems that work almost as well, and things you can do yourself.

For the money, I'd just Seafoam it like CPR mentioned. Pour 1/3 bottle of Seafoam in the gas tank, 1/3 into the crankcase, and suck the last 1/3 down the pcv or vacuum brake booster line. It'll smoke like a sob, but it cleans everything out really well. Total cost: $8
Old 07-30-2009, 10:55 PM
uibalnme
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
...Pour 1/3 bottle of Seafoam in the gas tank, 1/3 into the crankcase, and suck the last 1/3 down the pcv or vacuum brake booster line. It'll smoke like a sob, but it cleans everything out really well. Total cost: $8
Plus the cost of an oil change, since you don't want to run the engine with that stuff in the oil for very long.

Quick Reply: Carbon Cleaning Machine??